New Puppies and Many Questions

dooleydog

We are new puppy owners and really want to get things right so we have a wonderful, loving and great relationship with our baby. I have a few questions:

1. We are crate/kennel training Dooley. In order to do this is it ok that he is out with us some in the mornings/evenings while we watch him close and take him out at any signs of needing to "go" or does he need to be in the crate more than out of the crate to learn house training.

2. He is able to be at work with me now but in about a month will have to be left at home. Should he stay in the crate at work for the amount of time he will be in the crate at home or if I have a safe office area can he stay in that area and out of the crate. Will it be hard to him to go from being out of the crate to having to stay in once he is home.

3. I know you need to take the puppy out about 15-20 minutes after they have eaten. Should you also take them out as soon as they finish eating?

4. Hiccups ~ is it normal for puppies to get hiccups. He seems to get them once a day usually after eating and going out to "go". They don't last long just want to make sure there isn't something going on that I need to check out.

vizzla

1. Have the puppy with you as much as possible. To be housebroken the puppy needs to get to a few months old so he can controll his blader. Its nothing to do before that. Just keep close wacht over him and take him outside after playing, eating, sleeping. Stay outside untill he does. They can have some accidents when they come to 8 months old because of hormones. Just let it be, it will pass. Clean up and ignore when he does inside and praise alot if he does outside. Go to the same spot every time, that will help them understand sooner, in my experience.

2. Dont keep him in a crate. Just give him a calm place to be. Give him one of your used cloates like a t-shirt to lay down on. That seems to calm some dogs down. You can have him in just one room but I would never keep a dog in a crate for more than a few minutes. In sweden its illigal to keep dogs in crates indoors. Just think how you would feel beeing that limited.

3. I would wait a few minutes after eating. If you are observant you will soon learn to see the sights when the puppy is about to go. Our boy we adopted is 8 months and not housebroken, he starts wandering around when he needs to go outside :)

4. Yes, they can have hiccups :)

Good luck with your boy! Hope you will have a great time ahead!

vizzla

And...

We train our dogs to be alone for a few hours, by starting slow and with short sessions.
Start by leaving the puppy in the room you want him to be in while you are gone. Go to another room but make sure the puppy see you at all time. Stay for a few seconds, dont let him get upset, and go back and prais. After a while start training by going out of sight for one minute. Some leave the dog with something to chew on while beeing alone. So that alonetime is asociated with something positive :) As the puppy accept you beeing out of sight, go outside, always have the same rutine. I just say "see you soon" and leave them. I dont make a deal about it.

I believe that when you come home you should greet the dog. Some say to ignore the dog, but what will that do? The dog is happy to see you and you ignoring it, I believe, makes the dogs confidence low.

I just calmly say "hello" and go in, pet them, and then do my buisness. They calm down as soon as I say "hello" and often runs up on the sofa :)

Good luck with the training. Its hard and it takes time but the more time you let it take the better result you get. :)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Sorry Vizzla, crates are the way of life here, and honestly, I'd much prefer a dog in a crate, where it cant do or get into anything dangerous, than loose in the house. Crates, if trained correctly are a nice den where dogs are happy to go into for the day. Everyone works here, there isn't time for a dog to learn to be alone slowly.

dooleydog- You are lucky, being able to take your puppy to work with you for the first month! Yes, I would keep him crated, taking him outside every hour or so, and lengthening the time in the crate slowly. Crate him at night as well. when you're home, you can keep him leashed to you, instead of in his crate. Make sure you take him outside on a leash, and PARTY when he does his business. Take him out after eating, playing, waking up, then every half hour in between, when he's out of his crate. Set him up for success, and hopefully you wont have too difficult a time with housetraining :)

dooleydog

Sara ~ thanks for your input. I am very lucky that Dooley can come with me this first month and then after that will be able to be at home with my husband and son as they have some accumulated days off and school spring break respectively. I really do want to set him (and us) up for a successful relationship. You said to keep him in the crate at work but to lengthen the time slowly. Any suggestions for how to do that at work? To not have to have him in the crate all the time when I am at work I have a little area set up but he is trying to jump over the barrier to get to me. I have been telling him "down" and "no jump" firmly. Would love to hear your input.

vizzla

Yes I understand that its different for you but I dont agree with that arrangement. You do as you wish but I rather have the dog in one room of the house where he can move around. :)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Sara ~ thanks for your input. I am very lucky that Dooley can come with me this first month and then after that will be able to be at home with my husband and son as they have some accumulated days off and school spring break respectively. I really do want to set him (and us) up for a successful relationship. You said to keep him in the crate at work but to lengthen the time slowly. Any suggestions for how to do that at work? To not have to have him in the crate all the time when I am at work I have a little area set up but he is trying to jump over the barrier to get to me. I have been telling him "down" and "no jump" firmly. Would love to hear your input.
by lengthening the time slowly, I meant mostly between potty breaks. At first, take him out for a pee every hour, then every 1.5 hours etc, with a few minutes of play time, then back into the crate for nap time. You should be able to work him up to only coming out for coffee breaks and lunch time, fairly quickly :) Just make sure he gets plenty of play time before and after work, so he's willing to nap for you :)