The Vet says I may have to put down my 4 month old puppy :(

curieux

My dachshund is only 18 weeks old and has already bitten me three times enough to break skin. She has gotten increasingly viciously snappy and snarly if she doesn't like things. I took her to the vet on Saturday when she snarled at us if I touched her hind legs or lower back, thinking she had injured it, and she was snarling and trying to bite the vet for just trying to get her out of her carrier which had never happened before. After calmly removing her, holding her, and examining her legs, back, and tail, the vet determined that there didn't feel anything wrong with them.

She told me that she wasn't aggressive because of injury, and that her responses were way too escalated for a normal four month old pup and that it's actually caused by pressure in her brain. She said that looking at my little puppy's head she could tell that is was just a little off, a little too domed which she had seen before in other cases with this type of aggression in pups. This issue in her brain causes her to be unable to perceive things in the world in a normal way so everything she experiences she will react to in the nth degree.

She gave me water pills and Phenobarbitol to give to my dog every day but she told me that this aggression will only ever get worse and if the meds don't help I have to think about eventually putting her to sleep if that happens...Obviously I don't want it to come to that, I love my pup so dearly and was expecting to have her as my companion for many years. Has anyone ever heard or experienced something like this before with one of their dogs? I don't even know what to look up online...I just want other options if available.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Oh that's very sad! I've never heard of this. I know Cockers (english mostly) can get Rage syndrome, but that's different than this, I do believe. I really hope the meds help!

vizzla

Oh Im so sorry for you!
Ive never heard that a presure on the brain could cause it. Ive heard about a friend whos dog was put down due to agression caused by like epileptic attacks in the brain. I really hope your puppy will be all right!

wetnosemafia

That is so sad, I'm sorry! However, if it comes down to it you should get a second (and third) opinion from different vets and or from trainers.

jazzaria

I am so sorry to hear this about your baby... I have never heard this about the dachshund breed, however I have heard something similar about the dobermans, and its caused by over breeding.... Hopefully there will be something that can help your little one...

Inkeri

I'm so sorry! :( I hope you'll get help and your puppy can have a healthy happy life. Take care!

Reggy'smom

dachshund dens
I'm very sorry! I know how painful it is. I hope they can help her. I don't understand why this happens. We had a chocolate lab that developed that behavior. We got her when she was 8 weeks and as she grew she became aggressive for no reason :( . She grew into a big dog and became ''scary aggressive'' toward us, the Vet said he had no answers except that she might have a brain issue. Unfortunately after all we could do for her, nothing worked and her aggression became so severe we feared what might happen. We had to put her down. :( beyond words sad!

Steph

I'm sorry to hear that. I understand the pain you are going through. I had to put my almost 2 yr old blue Dobermann down in June of last year because she attacked one of my little guys. The scary thing was that she had grown up with him, and then one night she asked him to play with her in which he responded in kind. Before I knew it, she had him in her mouth and was shaking him. The behaviourists I work with and my vet told me that she had meant to attack him all along, that something had misfired in her head and she gave him the wrong behaviour...and from the puncture marks on his neck I believe them. If she had been an eighth of a centimetre over, she would have punctured his jugular.

She had been diagnosed with a neurological disorder earlier in the year and we thought we had it under control...

Oh yes and Hercules is fine. With some rehab, he has no fear of big dogs...in fact three of his bestest buds are 2 labs and a rottie!

All the best to you and your family

rescuelou

so sorry!

Is there any news on your pup? I lost a foster puppy to something called hydrocephalus. Here's some info-
Hydrocephalus - Pet Health Learning Center
He was a doxie/chi mix and the domed head was pretty evident. He was normally a very sweet little guy, but would seizure and bite during the seizures. It was incredibly sad. After serious discussions with 2 different vets I decided to let him go. He was not going to have good quality of life.
I certainly hope it's better news in your case!

Cassidys_Momma

The only breed I have heard of this happening to is the Doberman breed. Their skulls fuse together and their brain continues to grow putting pressure on it. Usually it takes time for this to happen though. I hope your furbaby is going to be ok.

Steph

Can I ask where everyone has heard of this disorder in Dobermanns where their skulls fuse and cause pressure on the brain? My last Dobe passed due to something similar to Epilepsy. The only other thing I can think of besides Hydrocephalic pups would be syringomyelia. Many breeds can be affected by it, but it is most prevalent in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

DonRamon

Ninja
My friend had a doberman named Goldie, who had to be put down because one day she just started having seisures that would not stop.

curieux

So far so good!

Hey guys! Bonnie, my dachshund, is now 7 months old and doing really well right now! Just wanted to keep you guys updated that I took her to another vet and got another consultation. They said that it could be hydrocephulus, but if that was the case then her aggression would have gotten way worse quicker, but so far is so good! We know the steady and careful steps that we have to take with her, and this vet is SO patient and takes their time to observe her.

This vet said she most likely was inbred, unfortunately (my fault for falling into the backyard breeder trap), which means she has a neurological disorder. But they have said that she isn't in pain (which is something we were worried about) and she's otherwise normal; loves attention, and is super sweet and playful. She is essentially a special needs dog and as long as we have the time and patience, she'll live a good and happy life!

Sorry for leaving you guys hanging for 3 months and thank you for your concern!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Oh I'm sooo glad!!! I hope she continues to do well, and good for you for taking the time and being patient! I'm very glad you updated us on this!