Potty training.

starfish

Midwest US Region Moderator
I must say, that both of our dogs were generally easy to potty train. It took both of them about 3 to 4 days to 'get it'. We took them out every 20 minutes...we praised and treated with this 'chicken jerky' that is all natural. We then went from every 20 minutes to every 30 minutes and so on. you get the picture. They are both very affectionate and courteous gentlemen.

starfish

I forgot to mention that whilst potty training, it is a good idea to monitor liquids and food. If you leave the house for a bit, you do not want to leave food or water down...it limits the accident ratio. Just remember, what goes in, must come out.

gpmum2

Bernie got the idea quite quickly to go on the training mat, :) and the training mat are near the back door, which is two rooms away from our lounge. He does usually go on command at bedtime & most times I let him out. Where as our old dog will come & gives a "look" to open the door. Bernie hasn't mastered this. I notice on utube people have trained their daxis to ring a bell. I am wondering how easy this is to teach, as he has such a tiny bark that we can't hear him.

I dont really want to be buying training mats for the forseable future :(

starfish

That is awesome. We never tried the potty pads. Both of them were interventions from going to the pound. The youngest used to be my little nephew's doggy. They never took him outside and wondered why he would pee and poo inside. Of course, neither like collars, so they have harnesses. This made taking them outdoors much easier and safer. :D

Cell

Our guy mastered housebreaking within 2 weeks, starting at 9 months old with no previous training.
However when we tried leaving him loose at night instead of in his kennel we found a present (poop) on 2 out of 3 nights.
The first night was my fault from feeding him something new and not ensuring he eliminated on his evening outing, second night he was clean, probably from being emptied out from the stomach upset and the 3rd night he pooped again after being out and pooping at midnight.
He tried to hide the mistake by eating most of it (I woke up to a wiff of poop from him yawning in the room) any advise to curb night time pooping? I don't want to have to kennel him forever...

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Our guy mastered housebreaking within 2 weeks, starting at 9 months old with no previous training.
However when we tried leaving him loose at night instead of in his kennel we found a present (poop) on 2 out of 3 nights.
The first night was my fault from feeding him something new and not ensuring he eliminated on his evening outing, second night he was clean, probably from being emptied out from the stomach upset and the 3rd night he pooped again after being out and pooping at midnight.
He tried to hide the mistake by eating most of it (I woke up to a wiff of poop from him yawning in the room) any advise to curb night time pooping? I don't want to have to kennel him forever...

Hi Cell.. Welcome to the site.. We try feeding our pups Late.. Around 8 to 8:30 PM.. They are usally ready for a poop at bedtime and are good for the night. We started doing this thou to get them to sleep past 4 am lol. We used to feed them in the moring and they would wake up early and excited to eat.. Now the get a small breakfast in the morning and some dry food snacks during the day and the main feeding at night.. We do still found a poop once and a while in the house... But after about a year or so they are good. We do use the pads when we are not home the get gated in the kitchen and will use a pad if they need to but they are usally good for 8 hours or so after they go..

starfish

We do the same as Admin. We feed them a small breakfast, some healthy snacks during day, and main meal at night. When they were pups, we would take up food bowl and leave water bowl down. It was somewhat touch and go for a few days while we got their poo schedule down. Each time they poo'd outside we praised highly and gave a small snack. (I found cutting snacks in fourths worked if they were small, if medium snacks cut smaller to avoid overeating). After a few weeks, of course ours sleep with us, they found their schedule and were willing to restrict their own food and water to avoid wee'ing and poo'ing in the house. If their tummies get upset, we may find an 'accident' on floor when we get home. But we never scold for something they couldn't help.

Cell

So it seems the consensus is to feed the larger meal portion at night it seems. I thought it would be counter productive because I figured the food would start to push through during the night, but I guess it would be pushing morning food, and if there is less morning food, there is less likelihood he will need a BM during the night.
We currently feed a bit less then 1/2 cup, grain free food in the morning and at night, equal portions, maybe we will give 1/4 cup in morning and 3/4 cup at night and see how that goes and try leaving him loose again at night after he understands that routine...

On average it is what? 8 hours after a dog eats that it should need to go?

thanks for your input.

Susan

Bella & Jack's Mummy
I feed Bella 3 small meals a day as that was what the breeder advised is this right do you think ?

Also what is the best puppy food to give her, what does everyone give their Dachshund... we were told Royal Canine puppy with a tiny amount of wet food on top of her dried ....

This is the first time we have had a Dachshund I just want feed her the best I can

thank you

Cell

I have Leo on Orijen, great quality food but not all dogs can handle the hight protein level and can get pretty nasty gastro-intestinal upset. A friend of mine gave me some Fromm pork and apple which we have mixed in because I didn't want it to go to waste.

A good website to compare brands is Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

beekeeper

Wow, you guys have been really lucky. My little one, well, when she was a baby, was so frakkin' difficult about potty training. I was with my ex at the time, who wasn't very patient, so when she had an accident, he would yell at her. :( I told him to stop it but he wouldn't listen.

As a result, I had to "deprogram" my little Charlotte because she was awfully nervous about potty. It took me almost a year to get her to 75% reliable, and now she's at 95%. The only time she has accidents is if she's feeling nervous for some reason, usually coinciding with a move or any major adjustment, we've had a few since my divorce...But if she does have an accident, it's when I'm not home, and she goes on the bathroom tile. Always 2. Never 1, for some reason she always holds her pee. it's the other she's got issues with. Maybe it's IBS lol. Seriously though, I'm really impressed that even when she has a whoops, she has the smarts enough to use the bathroom. It's funny.

We're both just really happy that we don't have to hear any yelling anymore.
She's been much calmer.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, you guys have been really lucky. My little one, well, when she was a baby, was so frakkin' difficult about potty training. I was with my ex at the time, who wasn't very patient, so when she had an accident, he would yell at her. :( I told him to stop it but he wouldn't listen.

As a result, I had to "deprogram" my little Charlotte because she was awfully nervous about potty. It took me almost a year to get her to 75% reliable, and now she's at 95%. The only time she has accidents is if she's feeling nervous for some reason, usually coinciding with a move or any major adjustment, we've had a few since my divorce...But if she does have an accident, it's when I'm not home, and she goes on the bathroom tile. Always 2. Never 1, for some reason she always holds her pee. it's the other she's got issues with. Maybe it's IBS lol. Seriously though, I'm really impressed that even when she has a whoops, she has the smarts enough to use the bathroom. It's funny.

We're both just really happy that we don't have to hear any yelling anymore.
She's been much calmer.
How can anyone get mad and yell at a Dachshund!! Just look at those puppy eyes....

My pups can do NO wrong.......

Welcome to the site!

Susan

Bella & Jack's Mummy
sound like you both have a better quieter life now :D x

I could never shout at Bella x

gpmum2

PANIC a couple of you mentioned a YEAR to get your pups trained :( I am not sure my wooden floors will be upto that..thankfully hubby owns a timber merchants.

Bernie is now 5 months old and we have had him for 2 months, we did start with the crate trraining (never used before) and last night I decided to give up with it and left both dogs in the kitchen, not a sound from Bernie although my other dog barked on & off all night :mad:. Bernie had used his training mats so got loads of praise.

This morning I went to work for 3 hrs and came home to find he has wee'd & poo'd on the kitchen floor even though he had his training mats by the back door. He can go days doing everything right and then seems to go back to square one again :(

koshka

Super Moderator
How do i envy those that have trained them in 3-4 days. For us....i thought it would never happen!
Honestly,,,it really took us about 6 months to get it down for sure.
And then miraculously...they would show up at the sliding door and ask to go outside...i cried out "its a miracle"
Now what would i do different......probably nothing. The consistency is what is important with the stubborn doxies.
Another thing...we had good success when we fed them at around 8pm..this kept them asleep through the night instead of waking up at 4am hungry and lickng our faces.

:)

starfish

I have let my hubby read these posts..and we both feel the same, wow, we are very very lucky. Our boys will hold it til we are sure they are about to burst when it is raining outside. Funny thing is however, cannot keep them out of the bathtub. Henry loves the pool, Oscar doesn't mind it, but would rather stay out of it. We decided to buy a house here that was built in the 1920's and remodel it. We wish to take the house back to the time period it was built, with just a few modern touches...all the while planning this remodel, we made the decision to put in a 'perch' for the boys in the spare room at one of the windows. Their favorite past time is looking out the windows. We are even going to add a bay window with a nice ledge to add a soft cushion bed for them to lay on. :D Even my 'in-laws' are coming up with ideas on the house, centered around the boys. lol

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I have Leo on Orijen, great quality food but not all dogs can handle the hight protein level and can get pretty nasty gastro-intestinal upset. A friend of mine gave me some Fromm pork and apple which we have mixed in because I didn't want it to go to waste.

A good website to compare brands is Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble
I fed Orijen as well, but I had one dog (not my Doxie) that didn't do well with the high protein. I now feed Acana Pacifica, same company (Champion Pet Foods made right here in Alberta), still grain-free, still fish based, but only 33% protein instead of 44% that Orijen is... My dogs are doing really well on it.

I had some issues with housetraining Mouse as well, tho she quit having "liquid accidents" at around 6 months, but she didn't seem to get that she couldn't poop in the house. She finally got it at around 9 months.... just a heroic level of patience and consistency, eventually they get it.... eventually. Mouse was 5 months old when I adopted her (well she was 4 months when I adopted her, but I couldn't go get her from the friend that rescued her for a few weeks as I wont drive through the mountains in the early spring)

brittany7206

I still have a problem with mine lifting his leg on the corners of furniture. I have to constantly buy puppy pads to prevent this b/c the stay off spray does not work. He is left at home for a long time during the day due to busy work schedules and our house is out of the city. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Susan

Bella & Jack's Mummy
I still have a problem with mine lifting his leg on the corners of furniture. I have to constantly buy puppy pads to prevent this b/c the stay off spray does not work. He is left at home for a long time during the day due to busy work schedules and our house is out of the city. Any thoughts or suggestions?
a little playmate maybe :D ! I'd love to get another Doxie to add to the family and a playfriend for Bella, to keep each other company when we have to go out for a few hours etc, Im lucky I work at home but I hate leaving her x

brittany7206

I wish! My husband refuses to get another dog. He is tired of the one we have tearing up our new house. We have another dog at the moment that we are dog-sitting for my dad but he is outside during the day. I do not trust to leave those two alone in the house all day.