Please help!

chararie03

I'm new here and in need of help. My doxie Logan, injured himself Monday rendering his hind end pretty much useless. Since then, he hasn't had a poo. I've tried the ice cube trick as well as a vasoline q-tip inserted to get things going. Both activated his muscles as they should, but with no poo success. I've also given him coconut oil in hopes it would loosen things up. He hasn't seemed to have lost any bit of his appetite but it's starting to scare me that he hasn't yet poo'ed. If anybody has any other suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Here's a picture of my boy from last week, pre injury.

Attachments

Nell

Hi and welcome from the UK!

I am sorry to hear your little one is unwell, I don't really have any advice for you apart from a visit to the vet sounds like the best idea. Let us know how he gets on, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

chararie03

Hi and welcome from the UK!

I am sorry to hear your little one is unwell, I don't really have any advice for you apart from a visit to the vet sounds like the best idea. Let us know how he gets on, best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Thank you. He's been back and forth to the vet getting dmso shots. He's making progress and is back to having more regular bowel movements. The vet's first impression was grim due to Logan's complete loss of feeling in his back end, however within just a couple doses of prednisone, rest and 1 dmso shot, he had already started to regain sensitivity. The vet is now saying it looks hopeful. We're still planning to get him a wheelchair to help him out a bit. Thanks for your well wishes. :)

Penny

Hi there. Is this a recent injury?
Go to dodgerslist, it's a site that helps people dealing with spinal cord injuries in doxies.
They recommend a full *8 weeks* of crate rest. Carry out to potty, carry back to kennel. Use a sling to support the back end.
Many doxies have recovered from their injury. Don't worry about a cart just yet. Georgia did have bladder and bowel control and she did have a full recovery.
If he's having trouble with bowel movements, put some tin pumpkin into his food. The fiber helps to bring moisture into the poop and keep it easier to move.
Be sure to decrease the amount you're feeding so he's not putting on weight.

Looking forward to good reports over the next few weeks. Please keep us posted.

jarredfeet

That's very unfortunate, glad to hear a good progress on his back legs. I agree with a time frame for rest and full recovery, your vet should mention more details for his treatment and therapy.