Need advice from those who've raised a Dachshund Puppy

sandijn

Hi,
After losing our beloved 6 year old Dachshund recently, we decided to get a new puppy Dachshund. Our other Dachshund we acquired at about a year old so we never saw him at the puppy stages. Our new boy, Toby, is 9 weeks old. We brought him home a week ago from a very reputable breeder who had both parents on site with the puppies. Toby sat with me on the long 3 hour drive home and seemed to really attach to me. The problem is that he really seems to be suffering from some kind of separation anxiety from me every time I take two steps from him. I cannot put him in the play yard and take two steps away nor put him in the crate without him barking/whining uncontrollably (and loudly!). I have tried leaving him home in the crate for short periods (half hour or an hour) and he is still barking uncontrollably when I return home. I can hear him from the front porch before I even walk inside. I have read countless Dachshund books, have read all the training tips and techniques. I have bought the puppy toy with the heartbeat, the 'warming' puppy toy to recreate his littermates. I put on soft music for him. I have tried completely ignoring him (he barked uncontrollably for over an hour and I got a massive migraine).

My question to all of you who have had Dachshund puppies who are now full-grown, is this NORMAL behavior? Did your puppy do this or were you able to set him down with a treat or toy for short periods while you walked away to get something across the room? Will this get better or does it sound like he has serious issues that will remain when he is an adult dog? Since we have only had him for a week.... I would rather rehome him now before our whole family is completely attached then to have an adult Dachshund that I can never leave home alone because of nonstop barking. ( I also tried the empty can with coins trick and the water squirting as he was barking but it didn't even slow him down).

Please tell me about the behavior of your Dachshund when he was a puppy so I have something to compare this to and can decide if we should keep persevering or looking for a new home for him. Thanks!

wetnosemafia

I have a 9ish/wk old Dachshund and I had/have the same problem.

I found this video on clicker training How to train your dog to be left alone- clicker training - YouTube and so far it seems to be helping.

We are still working on it daily, but at the moment leaving the room doesn't cause the same amount of panic/barking it created when we first started the clicker training. Also if you haven't already you should try crate training as this will also teach her to be alone.

sandijn

I have a 9ish/wk old Dachshund and I had/have the same problem.

I found this video on clicker training How to train your dog to be left alone- clicker training - YouTube and so far it seems to be helping.

We are still working on it daily, but at the moment leaving the room doesn't cause the same amount of panic/barking it created when we first started the clicker training. Also if you haven't already you should try crate training as this will also teach her to be alone.
Thanks for the link. I have read about clicker training and will explore it further.
Yes, we are also crate training (and that's one of the times he cries/barks the loudest).

Blazer's Mom

I have a 16.5 year old that just started having separation anxiety July 2011 (when we left for a 3 day get away....without him). Being that he is 16.5 and had 2 strokes in October, we can't just let him cry it out. But if you have a pup that is healthy... you may try letting him cry it out. But first, try taking him on a long walk to tire him out. Be sure he gets some water and pottys, then put him in his cage. See if he will be quiet for even 30 seconds (with you and your family completely ignoring him), then go over and let him out and praise him. Repeat this a few more times increasing the length as you go. But do not punish or yell at him if he whines/barks. And do not let him out when he's whining or barking. You'll want about 5-10 seconds of calmness before you let him out.

It will get better...it's just going to take work. Or you may have to get him a furry friend LOL

GillA

Owned by my gorg Dachs
We have a 20 month old dachshund called Mojo. He did the same with us. As we both work full time the key was getting a routine for Mojo in place. This gave him structure to his day. We found that he only barked for 5 minutes when we left him ad he knew he wad getting nowhere. He still give me the puppy dog eyes when I left a left and a puddle at my feet when I popped back at lunchtime to see him!!

After 10 months we decided to get Mojo a playmate. Then came our black and tan puppy Peanut who is now 10 months old. The first few days were frought with them both trying to be top dog. We had to get in between them a few times! Now they are best buddies. Now they both know the daily routine and we have no problems. They even love coming into our bed on a Saturday & Sunday morning for a lie in - a treat for them if they have been good as they sleep in the kitchen normally.

I would definitely suggest getting a little playmate.

Cell

I wouldn't suggest getting a second dog when you are dealing with a 9 week old puppy. You are going to go through all sorts of stages in your first year, whining, crying, testing boundaries, chewing, refusal to listen, toilet training issues, anxiety issues. It is all part of growing up, your pup just left the only life he has known, he is scared, he will grow up and learn the routine. Keep him on a clear routine so he knows what is expected and he will learn. You will hit road bumps but they will smooth out. 1 week is not long enough to give up on him, I got my dog at 9 months and was constantly worried about every little new quirk or behavioral trait that would pop up, but over time we got to know each other better and now we know what to expect of each other. Just focus on how you want him to behave and encourage him when he behaves properly, ignore him when he tries to manipulate you and discipline him when he behaves badly. Soon he will learn what to expect. But don't expect too much of him until he is older.

gpmum2

I hope your little one has settled down a bit now. He did seem very young, as several breeders we met over here (UK) before we got Bernie would not consider letting their puppies go before 12 weeks & more like 15wks.

I have had Dalmations (6) a Beagle & a cross GSD and Bernie has the been the hardest to train out of all of them. Daxi's seem to need time and patients in everything they do!

I hope you can persevere with yours :)