Male Pooping and Peeing in House

TillyHershey

Hello fellow dachi lovers!

I have a 6 year old male dachshund. He is a smooth coated chocolate and tan boy. He has had a problem with pooping and peeing in the house since he was just a pup. Here's the details:

He cannot be left alone for even a minute, or he will often steal away and poop and pee in various places of the house. Our family members are aware of his sneaky behavior, and any time he gets out of sight, one of us calls him to make sure he is supervised and NOT relieving himself in the house. He knows this behavior is not allowed in the house, and acts guilty when caught, but still puts considerable effort in doing this. He was neutered as a very young dog, of about 1 to 2 years old, after we were frustrated by his marking. Before having him neutered, the vet said altering him may or may not stop the marking problem. It is possible that the problem was lessoned by the procedure, but it appears not to have been enough to discontinue the behavior altogether. He usually poops and pees in about the same areas of the house (the living room, on armchairs, or hanging objects within aim) We have tried many things to fix this problem, but are all run out of most ideas and could use some advice.

Any tips, methods, or advice concerning stopping urination and pooping in the house you may have are greatly appreciated! Also, what could be the reason for him still marking if he is fixed? He lifts his leg when he urinates, like an unnuetered male dog. Is this normal for fixed males?

Thank you! ;)

Sincerely,
TillyHershey

Reggy'smom

dachshund dens
Wow that would be very frustrating to me too. I know there are products out there that you can spray to keep them from marking. Not sure if they work. Do you take him outside after every meal and snack to do his business? Are there other male dogs in the house? I know when my son brings his small dog over, "his" dog will run around marking our house :eek: NOT GOOD and his dog is not allowed in our house now :/ . Thank God Reggy doesn't follow his lead on the marking. I'm no expert but it sounds like he's marking his territory?? Maybe?? Perhaps some anti marking spray will help. I wonder if the ''clicker'' training would work on him. You can google dog clicker training and I'm sure something will come up. Hope I've helped a little. :) Ruth

TillyHershey

spray and clicker suggestion

I don't take him out after every snack or meal, that
would probably help him a lot though.
No other males in house, but my very dominating
female Jack Russell Terrier. Thank you for the
suggestion on the sprays and clicker training,
I will have to look into and give it a try. If it works,
I will be so very thankful! We have even thought of
using doggy diapers to house train him. He has
been neutered, so you would think that would
put a stop to the marking, but who knows?

Thanks so much for your reply!

Reggy'smom

dachshund dens
I don't take him out after every snack or meal, that
would probably help him a lot though.
No other males in house, but my very dominating
female Jack Russell Terrier. Thank you for the
suggestion on the sprays and clicker training,
I will have to look into and give it a try. If it works,
I will be so very thankful! We have even thought of
using doggy diapers to house train him. He has
been neutered, so you would think that would
put a stop to the marking, but who knows?

Thanks so much for your reply!
You are most welcome. One thing I know for sure in my years of owner dogs, is that my dogs have had to pee and poop after every meal and snack. Reggy is very regular on his routine. "He eats he poops and pees" like clock work. I know when training puppies, we are suppose to take them out after every meal and snack. Reggy has atleast 2-3 piles a day outside. Some people say their dogs poop once a day. Not my Reggy and he definately doesn't eat to much. He's on a very strick diet by our Vet and she even told me that Reggy should be pooping and peeing after every meal. Soooooo it seems to be working for him. Good luck. I think the potty breaks outside after every meal will help out a lot for you and for him.

Pongo

Confinement & a consistent schedule.

I know exactly how you feel. My dachshund took, what felt like, a life time to learn his potty training. I got him when he was four months old and he was not 100% potty trained til he was almost 2 years old. He learned the concept of potty training right away, but he seemed to be stubborn about it. He would go months without an accident and then poop in the master bedroom after being outside all day.
He was neutered at 8 months of age so he never developed marking. Unfortunately, your vet is correct... he may never unlearn marking. He will definitely loose some interest over time, but it's a learned behavior now. When neutering a dog to prevent marking, it really only works when done extremely young before the behavior develops. So you need to make sure he knows it is not okay to do in the house, but praise him when he does it outside. It is completely normal for him to continue to lift his leg after being fixed.
The way we got him completely potty trained was to tie him up. I went out and bought about 6 feet of lightweight chain (he chews through all his leads when tied up) and attached a couple key rings on either side to add clasps to. I then preceded to chain him to the kitchen table/living room table (whichever room people are in at the time; he isn't being punished, just contained so he is still allowed to be social). He was chained up everyday all day, unless he was outside. Also we crate him when we leave, always supervise your pup when he is chained up. With your dog chained up right in front of you he won't be able to sneak off to poop in some corner.
Also, Reggy'smom is right. Dogs get the urge to go right after they eat so always take him outside to potty after every meal. You can slightly control his urges by feeding him only in the evening, one meal a day. A dog's metabolism is that of a predator, in the wild dogs don't get breakfast, lunch and dinner so feeding your doxie all his food in the evening will not hurt him. One meal in the evening allows for him to not need to go as much during the day. This is only for food though, he will need to drink all day long so it doesn't help much with peeing. Keep him on a schedule, always feed at the same time, this will make his potty schedule regulated and you can start to know when he will need to go. The schedule my dog is on is out to potty as soon as he wakes up, then every couple hours til dinner. If I left the house and had him crated while I was gone, he goes out to potty before I leave and as soon as I get home. Then outside to potty immediately after dinner. Every couple hours til bed time and one last time right before bed. It sounds like a lot, but your dog will learn. A good thing is to have a word for it, my doxie has learned to "go potty" on cue and praise, praise, praise him when he goes potty outside. This process isn't quick for him to learn, you may need to keep him tied up for weeks or months till he can wander the house to himself again. Be patient, dachshunds are notoriously hard to potty train.
The main idea is to confine him to a smaller space near you so he won't be able to sneak off, until he learns that outside is the place to do his business.
Make sure to feed him higher quality dog food. I wouldn't feed him anything cheaper than iams/science diet, though there are a lot of brands that are way better than those two. Higher quality dog food means less food to feed so smaller, firmer stools and less potty trips. Also in the long run it is cheaper because you are feeding less.
Apologies for the novel length. Good luck!

Last edited:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
neither Iams nor Science Diet (though you pay through the nose for them) are any good. Rule of thumb, if you can buy it at a grocery store or Walmart, it's garbage. that rules out Iams. Science diet has mostly corn in it. and the protein source is rendered meats (beaks, feathers and anything dead, diseased or damaged)

Sorry for my tangent... I'm of no help. My Male Dachshund (adopted at 6.5years) still pees and poops in the house. If he has to go, he goes... he doesn't care where he is. So he goes out often, is confined to the bathroom when I'm not home, and is with me when I am home.

Reggy'smom

dachshund dens
I have so say something because Reggy being stuborn at times. When we take our Reggy out to go pee and poo sometimes he's not in the mood to pee or poo lol and I will tell him "go pee'' and he will literally ''sulk'' his way to the grass and pee and sulk his way to go poo, it's histerical. He hangs his head and walks like '''fine'' I'll goooo you wretched woman LOL, my Mom's mini dachshund does the same thing. He'll try to get away with peeing but not pooing and my Mom will tell him "noooo' you get back there and poo too LOL and her Reggy will sulk his way back to the lawn LOL. These dogs crack me up.

Reggy'smom

dachshund dens
I have so say something because Reggy being stuborn at times. When we take our Reggy out to go pee and poo sometimes he's not in the mood to pee or poo lol and I will tell him "go pee'' and he will literally ''sulk'' his way to the grass and pee and sulk his way to go poo, it's histerical. He hangs his head and walks like '''fine'' I'll goooo you wretched woman LOL, my Mom's mini dachshund does the same thing. He'll try to get away with peeing but not pooing and my Mom will tell him "noooo' you get back there and poo too LOL and her Reggy will sulk his way back to the lawn LOL. These dogs crack me up.

Oh ya and he'll take his sweet merry ole time coming back into the house " like" you can wait for me now LOL soooo funny!!

gpmum2

Bernie is 22 months old and the worst dog I have ever owned for toilet training. All my larger dogs where dry within 2 weeks of coming home.

If Bernie is crated at night..no problems and he has a big crate..not the bed size that is recommended.

Yes we take him out after every meal and every 3 hours. The biggest break through though was to hang a bell on the kitchen door, which he nudges with his nose when he wants to go out.

If he does have an accident it is usually because he can't get out when he wants...maybe a cat flap could be an option.

vizzla

It sounds like the dog has learnd this behaviour. Take him outsid often, do as you would with pups, every hour to start with. When he goes outside - praise him.

How much stimualtion does he get? Do you give him problems to solve? Use his nose to seek for treats inside or outside. Then he will have something to focus on besides pooping.

Do tricks with him and stimulate him.

Good luck!

squish13

My Farfel does this too :)

Also, she's gotten the hang of peeing/pooping outside very quickly and almost every time on command. I'm curious the best ways to train them to "ask" to go out. I guess bell training them? But she's not at the state of even indicating, since she's still quite young.

gmcdragster83

I was fortunate enough to adopt both of my doxies house trained already. :D A good start would be the cleaners that you use. If the cleaners doesn't kill the bacteria and odors in the mess than the dog will have a set territory to mark. Some cleaners actually intensify the smell of the odor to the dog and therefor you will be going in circles. I have also read that positive reinforcement works a whole lot better than negative with doxies. Try and find a treat that is irresistible and only reward with that treat when your pup goes outside. If you search the web there are countless questions to the one that you asked here and unfortunately every dog is different especially in this stubborn breed.