I have a big dog! Is it okay to adopt a miniature dachshund?

doogy

Hi everyone! I have a two in a half yr. old German Shepherd well mannered dog
that respects our three cats. Would it be safe to adopt a little guy? I'm concerned about the back issue. Does anyone else have these little guys in the mix with a bigger dog? Thanks

DonRamon

Ninja
It will all come down to how well your Big dog plays with small dogs. Like for example we have a neighbour with a golden retriever and shes is very gentle when she plays with my mini dash, but my sisters lab doesnt know how to play withs mall dogs and ways puts his weight on mu dashie, so we stopped letting them play. Best way to test it, is to take your dog to someone who has smaller dog and see how they play, or maybe at a dog park (if no one minds your big dog mixing with small ones).

Inkeri

I have a normal size dachsie and a german shepherd-mix. They play very well together, although sometimes it looks quite rough... But they both enjoy! :) It's like DonRamon said, it all depends on how well your bigger dog can play with the smaller one. Dogs don't understand the size difference, but they can learn it. :)

nola

I have an 8lb mini Dachshund that plays with my cousin's lab all the time! She's the boss too;) You just need to make sure that your GS isn't being too rough

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
my 2 8 lb mini's play with my 40 lb terrier all the time. My little girl, Mouse was fostered with 8 great danes... they're tough and know how to tell off a big dog if needed, at least, mine do! LOL

shirl

I have 2 mini doxies with a 12 year old beagle. I had gotten 1 and the beagle didn.t want to play puppy game but i later got one of the doxies brothers and they have each other to play their rough games.

vizzla

Some larger breeds like to throw their paws on the back of other dogs, its how they play (like labradors and poodles). I dont let Alf play with those dogs because of the risk of injury on his back. But if your large dog doesnt play like that and is conciderat of smaller breeds it wouldnt be a problem.

MarciaA

My daughter has a GSD, and a mini dachshund.... they are great friends. Her german shepard was 2 when she got the dachshund. So as long as your GSD is gentle with other dogs, I don't see a problem. ;)

kornygerm

i have two dachshunds and one medium size mut.. The mutt loves to play, but usually the dachshunds are the ones to tell her that enough is enough llol.

shelbyOT

My roommates have a boxer that plays fairly well with our little guy. She is gentle but sometimes has to be reminded not to "paw" him too hard and he is quite tiny for stepping on. However, they both have on occasion made it clear that "that hurt" or "i don't want to play anymore". Best of luck!

Blazer's Mom

Hi everyone! I have a two in a half yr. old German Shepherd well mannered dog
that respects our three cats. Would it be safe to adopt a little guy? I'm concerned about the back issue. Does anyone else have these little guys in the mix with a bigger dog? Thanks
I have 150lb newfoundland, 120lb newfoundland and 75lb lab and my weiner dog is only 5.5 lb. As long as you keep a close eye on your small pups, you should be okay. I wouldn't leave them alone until you are completely sure that it is safe. But I must say that my wiener dog (17 years old) rules the house...the rest of the dogs (and me for that matter) bow down to him.

ilovemyweiner

Bigger dogs and dachshunds

I was nervous to get a miniature dachshund as we have a 75 lb golden retriever at home already. It all depends on the big dog's temperament I'd say. Ours doesn't care what she does to him and he lets her jump all over and bite his tail and ears and he just lays there. Once or twice he excitedly tried to push down on her with his paws but that worried me most when she was like 2 lbs! Now that she's about 5 lbs she holds her own and acts like the big tough dog, lol. Oh, another thing we did just for our own peace of mind so that we don't step on our mini is we put a cat bell on her collar.