Hey from Mx! Rescued a Doxie, his name is Watson and need some guidance!

ishe

Hello, everyone!

A friend sent me a photo of a dog in the streets, all bones, dirty and soaked.

See a photo: Instagram

He came home a month ago but I have no previous experience with dogs so everything's quite weird for me. Named him Watson (yes, because of the Sherlock Holmes character) and provided him good quality food, clothes, baths, a house, toys and everything.

He's now like this:
Instagram
Instagram

Realized that he had always the head on the right side (at first I found it cute but it was weird you can see all pics doing that to one side), shaked always his ears -for example, anytime I did caress his head and then all the time for no reason-, had problems to walk normally and sometimes a leg failed and 'stumbled', he always bumped with my leg when walking too which I thought at first it was due to my lack of understanding to walk a dog. So took him again to the vet and he said had otitis and dirty teeth (hence that's why he did stink despite of the bath and cleaning of god-knows-some-glands). So we put him to sleep, cleaned ears/teeth and I'm adding some medicin to his right ear.

How can I know if he is getting better? I've realized he is super terrified of stairs, to go up or down. Have any of you had that with your dog? I know these dogs are short legged but he sees a stair and sometimes even some sidewalks and gets terrified. Since I didn't raise him -all vets agreed he is two years old by now more less- I have no idea which kind of life he had, if someone kicked him by the stairs or what on earth might happen to him.

I live in a 4th floor +1 (to reach the terrace) so end up carrying him all the time there's a stair but... not sure what's his problem.

You can see he really refuses to walk even close to stairs...
Instagram

:|

JPsMOM

Bless you for giving him a good home first of all. Since you don't know what kind of life he has had, it will take work, but be oh so worth it. I can say that I once had a rescue (not a doxie but still), that had been on a chain in one spot all his life. It took some serious rehabilitation to help him get used to things that seem everyday thing...linoleum for example. If he has never seen them before, they would be terrifying. Also, honestly, it wouldn't hurt to carry him up and down those stairs. Stairs are not at all good for their backs, especially that many, you could be asking for a back injury! It is possible he could have fallen down stairs and been injured as a pup. They have very good memories! Good luck and hope that helps!

BelowHylan

Yes, you are wonderful for rescuing this baby. Looks some much better, all taken care of.

i would just carry him up/down stairs. I do not let my dog walk up and especially down the stairs. Sometimes she does not ask, but I try to catch her before she even thinks about it :). Unless she is chasing ZeKat..... :eek:

Watson is so beautiful!

CaseyKC

Although you did not say in which part of the ear the infection is located , it is possible that it may have progressed from the external ear, otitis externa, to the middle ear, otitis media, to the internal ear, (otitis interna.) The cochlea is located in the inner (internal) ear and is the center of balance and equilibrium. It is possible that the inner ear is affected and this is the cause of his fear of stairs and uneven sidewalks, ground etc. If this infection has gone beyond the external ear, the drops you are putting in, may not be effective for a middle or inner ear infection, as they will not be going beyond the tympanic membrane, (ear drum.) You would need oral or injected antibiotics to reach the middle and inner ear. Perhaps you should ask your vet if this might be the case and get an oral prescription (pill or liquid) to clear this up. Left untreated, infections of the middle ear and inner ear can lead to systemic nerve damage, deafness, and brain damage.

I agree that with as many stairs as you have to get to your apartment that carrying your dog down these stairs is a good idea to prevent back problems, but I would still ask the vet about a possible inner ear infection. Good luck and I think it is wonderful that you have adopted a rescue dog.

ishe

Thanks for your suggestions. I will take Watson to a new vet (someone told me there's this great and nice doctor) to see if he can get me antibiotics next Saturday. He's not shaking that much his long ears, but still walks weird and bumps against me all the time... I hope it's not late, and that's why he doesn't behave well (maybe he just can't listen to me).

BTW you're going to love this... Watson found on the sidewalk a few days ago a baby hummingbird that fell from the nest. It was super high where the nest looked broken, mother left and the baby was left alone. So now I'm fostering a dog and a hummingbird. Hummy's name is Hemingway. If Watson didn't almost put his foot on the baby bird he might be death...

Instagram

JPsMOM

Lol how cute on the baby bird...and on the not listening...well...he is a dachshund....so....lol. Even with perfect hearing, they are a very strong-willed breed.

ishe

Went with the new vet. Yes, the otitis was still quite bad. He got 2 shots of antibiotics and will apply some cream and give him meds for a month to try to help him.

He is at this stage as deaf as a rock. We will wait a month to see if it goes away with the meds. I've been doing some research and I'm considering to start teaching him using ASL language. In case he recovers or not, I've read it's always good to teach dogs using hand signs because they learn faster (don't tell me about the breed, this Doxie clearly likes to ignore commands and everything). :rolleyes:

Now I understand why a lot of people would rather pay for a dog than adopting. You never know what's going to happen with these fellows. Anyway, I think Watson came my way for a reason; I will keep trying to help him out. I really don't want him to go back to the streets.

On a sad note, Baby Hemingway died a few days ago. One second he was eating his honey/worms, chirping and moving the wings in full joy under the sun in this superb nest we made for him, and the next one he died infront of me. Literally, saw him die and go to Hummingbird's Heaven. It was VERY sad, one of the weirdest moments in my life... had to take Watson for a super long walk after my neighbor and myself buried Hemingway, cried all the way. We did as much as we can, but it wasn't enough. :(

CaseyKC

I'm sorry to hear that your baby bird died, but glad to hear that Watson is on antibiotics. Please keep us current on his recovery.