Dog Waking Earlier & Earlier

dooleydog

We have an 18 month dachshund that up until 3 weeks ago had been doing great with sleeping through the night. Dooley sleeps in the bed with us and had been perfectly happy sleeping until between 6:30-7:00am. About three weeks ago that starting becoming earlier and earlier. He started waking up at 6:15, then 6:00, then 5:45 and this morning it was 3:45am. His during the day schedule has not changed. He walked 2 times a day. Eats 2 times a day, etc.

He doesn't go to the door to ring the bell to go out when he wakes up, but I do take him in case that is the culprit. Most time he takes advantage of the opportunities and tinkles. When he comes back in he has no interest in going back to bed. I have gotten to where I feed him at 5am because he will settle down if he eats.

Any thoughts or suggestions. I need a full night's sleep. I love him dearly but this is driving me batty. :)

GJBain

We have an 18 month dachshund that up until 3 weeks ago had been doing great with sleeping through the night. Dooley sleeps in the bed with us and had been perfectly happy sleeping until between 6:30-7:00am. About three weeks ago that starting becoming earlier and earlier. He started waking up at 6:15, then 6:00, then 5:45 and this morning it was 3:45am. His during the day schedule has not changed. He walked 2 times a day. Eats 2 times a day, etc.

He doesn't go to the door to ring the bell to go out when he wakes up, but I do take him in case that is the culprit. Most time he takes advantage of the opportunities and tinkles. When he comes back in he has no interest in going back to bed. I have gotten to where I feed him at 5am because he will settle down if he eats.

Any thoughts or suggestions. I need a full night's sleep. I love him dearly but this is driving me batty. :)
Our 7 month has been doing the same thing although not at 3:45 AM. I think this is due to it getting light outside earlier and earlier. As soon as it is light outside she wakes up. Will see if my theory is correct as the days start getting shorter again. :)

CaseyKC

Have you tried more exercise during the day and evening, and longer walks? Maybe this would tire him out more. Keep him awake in the evening before you retire. For example, don't let him curl up and snooze while you watch tv in the evening. You could give him a treat filled kong or a chewy stick to keep him awake while you are relaxing before bedtime.

CaseyKC

I just had another thought. If you live in a suburban/rural area, maybe deer or coyotes are going through your yard. Maybe he is waking up because of outdoor sounds that you can sleep through but his enhanced hearing and sense of smell detect?

hilson

thats not a good situation to be in!

Makes me a little nervous too, since I have only very recently taken on a grown up dog from a family that couldn't cope with it. Its early days but so far she has been getting her first walk at a reasonable hour (about 7am), I never gave a thought to whether or not that would change.... Any advice to prevent this from happening?