Back Issues

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Boo had some muscle pain in his back, but he's been great since his weight came down (he was fat when I adopted him)

But I worry constantly, and I am extremely careful... to the point of getting rid of my bedframe and box spring so they dont hurt themselves jumping off the bed. They aren't allowed to go down stairs, or jump off anything.

ktshickle

DoxieLover
Not yet. Everyone I come across has a story about one though. I'm hoping I can find some sort of food or vitamin that can keep the spine and disks strong. I'll post if I do find something.

Cell

Keeping a healthy weight, exercise, and limiting back stress is very important. I have my boy on Glucosamine/chondroitin/msm because he has luxating patella and dislocated a knee at one point.
I know one woman with a 13year old dachshund who never had a back issue and was never limited with jumping on and off couches, but had limited stair access (the dog came from a good Austrian breeder). Many other people I had spoke to who had older dachshunds or past dachshunds did speak of back issues. I won't take Leo off his supplements ever and he gets a good exercise every day and has limited stair access so all we can do his hope he does not have any strong genetic predisposition to IVDD.
If you choose to buy a doxie it should be a very good reputable breeder without evidence of back issues in the lines. These dogs are not the kind to pick up from back yard breeders who "love the breed" and think their dog is so cute they let it have puppies. Temperament,health and wellness should take precedence over all else! If you are going to get an unknown always check for rescues first!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Keeping a healthy weight, exercise, and limiting back stress is very important. I have my boy on Glucosamine/chondroitin/msm because he has luxating patella and dislocated a knee at one point.
I know one woman with a 13year old dachshund who never had a back issue and was never limited with jumping on and off couches, but had limited stair access (the dog came from a good Austrian breeder). Many other people I had spoke to who had older dachshunds or past dachshunds did speak of back issues. I won't take Leo off his supplements ever and he gets a good exercise every day and has limited stair access so all we can do his hope he does not have any strong genetic predisposition to IVDD.
If you choose to buy a doxie it should be a very good reputable breeder without evidence of back issues in the lines. These dogs are not the kind to pick up from back yard breeders who "love the breed" and think their dog is so cute they let it have puppies. Temperament,health and wellness should take precedence over all else! If you are going to get an unknown always check for rescues first!
Absolutely!!! I have 2 unknowns, but both are rescues. I risk back issues, however, I do everything in my power to keep them healthy. Both are thin, they get exercise (though Mouse doesn't get walked much, due to her mangled foot, she does swim in the bathtub every other day) they dont jump off anything, and they get carried down stairs... they're on Joint supplements, salmon oil, exceptional diets and massage... Hope that's enough, but it's the best I can do.

vizzla

Off topic...

Do you know enyone who has taken their dog to an chiropractor if they had backproblems? One breeder Ive spoken to always took her dogs to a chiro first instead of the veterinerian, she thought the vets often wanted to operate unnecessary...

Mine is two years old and doesnt show any signs on backproblems yet. I dont let him jump on to the bed, he has a stair. He can walk short stairs to his dogwatchers appartment. I keep his back warm at wintertime with cloates. I give him oil for pets in his food. Hope thats enought.

Inkeri

There's a long thread about back issues on finnish forum, it's a thing that worries us all, i think. In a nutshell; the dog needs to be in good shape, not too fat, enough muscles to support the back and on a good diet. But, if they get back problems, some people prefer vets and drugs, but some have had good experiences with acupuncture, chiropractor etc.. The same treatment as for humans, i guess. :)

As for me, I bought Manu from a breeder (her second litter), but she had all the facts on both parents health (eyes checked, backs x-rayed). I'm going to get Manu checked and x-rayed as soon as he's 2 years old. :) Although, that's not always the whole truth, sometimes the dogs that get rated K1 have back issues and the ones that have K6 or more have none. I guess it has also something to do with luck and lifestyle. :)

Reggy'smom

dachshund dens
Our Reggy was rescued and came with a very severe back injury to the point the vet suggested uthinizing him. I refused to allow that. I couldn't afford the $3000.00 surgery bill so I rehabilitated him myself with careful attention, meds and crate time. 3 long months later he can walk and ''run'' :) He's our miracle boy! The Vet was amazed and had no words for his recovery. He couldn't believe it. With the idea from my fiance', I developed Dachshund Dens for Reggy so he could snuggle under the covers without tangling his legs up and straining his back. He's about 9 yrs now. Rescued him when he was about 3 from the pound. He's such a sweet dog and he is beyond attached to me. We go most everywhere together. He's on a diet for his weight program. He gains easy. He's had a couple back issues throughout the years "which scared me soooo bad" All I could think of was "no not again" Poor thing! Went to the Vet immediately for exams,blood work, meds and a new weight program and he's doing '''great''' and no back or shoulder issues now that his weight is down. Thank God!

KallyWally

My Kally just recently had the surgery (around 5 days ago)
We were very very strict with her weight, she is extremely fit as we were also worried about the predisposition to back problems. We thought we did everything right, limiting stair use, getting doggy stairs for couches etc and it still happened.. It can be scary but I am glad we caught it early. Early detection is best for a better recovery.

If you have an questions let me know..

Cell

there is definitely predisposition in the breed for joint and disc issues due to being dwarves. On top of that there are other issues such as IVDD which are common in the breed and hereditary. This is why if you are picking a breeder it is exceptionally crucial to find one with no known history of back issues. When you get a rescue you never know what you will get and you have to research the breed and leave yourself emotionally and financially available to the breed issues you may encounter in the future.
Some dogs have back issues which are cured with rest, anti inflammatory and sometimes steriods these even chiro works is the dics slips. BUT if you have IVDD the disc usually ruptures which can really only be solved with surgery to remove the disc and have the other disc's assessed for weakness. I know someone who had to do 2 back surgeries after having 2 discs let go. Another person I know was able to solve their doxies back with bed rest. Another person I know got their dog from a reputable breeder in Austria and it just passed away at 15 with no health issues besides having a benign mammary tumor and a case of arthritis. You really never know what you will get, only picking a solid breeder lets you have a good prediction.

KallyWally

This is all very true. I found this incredible website called dogderslist.com which really gave some helpful info about back injuries and diseases :(
I suggest everyone check it out!

Blazer's Mom

Yes, my Buddy was totally paralyzed from the chest down. We did the surgery and within 3 months he started coming around. When all was said and done, I would say that he was 90% back to normal. It took a lot of therapy on our part, but it worked!

Blazer has had a few "moments" of back issues, but with meds and cage rest....he's done very well. Though, he is only 6 lbs (the most he ever weighed was 9 lbs). So this has helped him, too.

DonRamon

Ninja
My dog grew up with 2 cats, and there is nothing i can do to make him stop jumping all over, i just hope feeding him right and him being a mini might help him in the long run.

dgc333

Our Oscar was out in the backyard for a couple of hours last week and when I brought him in he was very lethargic. I figured he had eaten something he shouldn't have but he didn't perk up. My wife took him to the vet on Friday and it turns out he injured his back.

The vet has him on rimadlyn for the next two weeks and we will see how he is doing. I stopped at the local holistic pet supply and they suggested a supplement called Vetri-Disc for back health.

crystall80

Our girls are 9, 3 and 4 months, and has never had any back issues. We have dog stairs for the couches and next to our bed. They are minis and has never been overweight, we also live in a 2 story townhouse and they never had issues going up or down the stairs. A friend of mine has a 2 year old doxy, she was in great health, but when my friend came home she found her paralyzed from mid-back down. 2 thousand later, poor girl still can't walk on back legs, but very happy :) she crawls along like nothing every happened. The doggie wheelchair was to heavy for her.