anyone have a doxie with a back problem?

Polowrapgirl

My dachshund is a 13 year old, long haired mini. Yesterday afternoon she lost movement in one back led and by 8:00 at night she lost total movement in her back legs. We bought her to our emergency vet and he said it is a disc in her back. Also that she has a 25% chance that she will get movement/feeling back in her legs. He suggested surgery but it is going to be $5,000 and honestly we don't have it. Our other concern is she is 13 but she has never had any health issues til this happened. He did say she will probably end up in a wheel chair then since we can't afford surgery. Does anyone have a doxie that is in a wheel chair or have additional knowledge of doxie back problems. My main concern is will she adjust to a wheel chair? will she be incontinence cause of this? She has had accidents the past day now but we think because she can't walk. We are going to our regular vet tomorrow. Right now I need some opinions and some resources.

Thanks!

Penny

Hi there! I am so sorry you found us under such difficult circumstances! What's your girl's name?

There have been many people in your shoes that went the conservative route, that is, no surgery and 8 weeks crate rest. She needs an anti-inflammatory, which likely the vet has given you. There is a website for doxies with spinal cord injuries that will be your life line.

Dodgerslist: canine back problems home page

Has she lost bladder and bowel control? If you wish to chat with folks, come by this dachshund website. There are lots of folks on there with experience.

Dachsie's Bulletin Board

If she is 13 and never had any health issues, that will work in her favor.
I would cut back her food a bit so she's not putting on excess weight during her crate time.

Many dogs get past this and adjust very well with a wheel chair. You aren't there yet, just keep thinking positive thoughts, and come by the bulletin board and chat.

Polowrapgirl

Her name is Emily. We bought her to our vet today. He confirmed she blew out 2 discs in her back. He said she would be a perfect candidate for surgery, only problem is she is 13 years old. My mom and I decided against it. Also because she is 13 and with an 8 mont recovery period we opted out. He said we can put her in a wheel chair and she will do fine. He said 8 weeks of crate rest won't help, if anything it could make her worse. He said since she might have arthritis it could make it worse. He said to keep her on steroids and muscle relaxers that the emergency vet gave us. He also said he doesn't think she is incontinent, just she can't tell us she has to go, since she can't walk. So we decided to order her a cart and she how she does with it and go from there. She actually took a few steps before when we would hold her up and when i scratched her tickle spot she did kick her leg. She also wagged her tail. The vet said she has so feeling and minimal motion but some. So for now we are being optimistic.

Penny

Did you check out dodgerslist yet?

We just went through this with Georgia in Feb/March. She did not lose bladder and bowel control and we crated her. Took her out to pee and supported her with a spare leash.

Would you consider acupuncture?

The sooner the better in regard to that.

I did take a video of her with all the needles in and the current running, and she's wagging her tail.

Deborah Thomas

Doxie Back Problem

When my little daschund Peanut was about 5 years old, he became totally paralyzed in both his hind legs. He was fine that day, then I tried to put on his sweater and when I handled his leg he wimpered a little. I brought him to the vet, who found nothing wrong, this was at around four in the afternoon. Early the next morning, at around 5 am., Peanut was completely paralyzed in his hind end. He got an operation to repair a disc in his back at the medical college in Ft. Collins, Co. and he is now 15 years old and doing great. He recovered very quickly.
If yours is 13 years old, you shouldn't have him operated on, though. The wheelchair-like things that enable them to get around seem to work well and it looks like they enjoy it. And there are pain meds if needed. A couple of times in the past few years, Peanut needed pain meds, he must have jumped wrong, who knows, but after a couple of days on the meds he's back to normal. If yours doesn't adjust to a wheelchair, you can still give him a good life, but he would need intense care. If you have to, give him to a rescue before you consider euthanasia, because people would be willing to adopt him. Not that you would give her up, I just had to add that, just in case.

Last edited:

crystalclear1027

so sad

This situation happened to my four year old doxi this past November. The day before, we thought he hurt his foot or strained his leg so we gave him dog aspirin and put him on a heating pad in bed with us where he always slept. At 4 in the morning his back legs were straight out behind him and he couldn't walk or stand. We took him to our 24 hour emergency vet and they told us that it was definitely more than one disc blown and steroids would do no good for him the way he was. They never mentioned a wheelchair and we were so distraught that I never thought of it. We decided to euthanize him. It broke my heart, I did not no what else to do, surgery was an option but they could not guarantee anything and he would be in rehab for weeks and we didn't want him to go through all of that. I cry everyday because he was the light of my life and I miss him so much. I have mixed feelings about wheelchairs but I wish now that tango would have had a chance to live if we thought or was told about a wheelchair.

Last edited:
This situation happened to my four year old doxi this past November. The day before, we thought he hurt his foot or strained his leg so we gave him dog aspirin and put him on a heating pad in bed with us where he always slept. At 4 in the morning his back legs were straight out behind him and he couldn't walk or stand. We took him to our 24 hour emergency vet and they told us that it was definitely more than one disc blown and steroids would do no good for him the way he was. They never mentioned a wheelchair and we were so distraught that I never thought of it. We decided to euthanize him. It broke my heart, I did not no what else to do, surgery was an option but they could not guarantee anything and he would be in rehab for weeks and we didn't want him to go through all of that. I cry everyday because he was the light of my life and I miss him so much. I have mixed feelings about wheelchairs but I wish now that tango would have had a chance to live if we thought or was told about a wheelchair.
Henry went down twice. The first time was at age 4, the second at age 7. We went through surgery, despite warnings that it was not guarantee. But, the $5,000 we had to borrow for the surgery was worth it. He did very well for the next 3 years. We, on the other hand, constantly worried about him. He was an energetic, athletic dog that chased birds and squirrels. He had a good last three years. But the second time he went down, he lost bladder function, his hind feet were "knuckled under," and neither our house or our life were set up to care for a dog in a wheel chair. There was no way to watch him, Kathy's back problems prevent her from picking up a 20# dog and carrying him downstairs.

And Henry would be frustrated with soiling himself and not being able to get around by himself. It broke my heart watching him trying to lick himself clean after he made a mess in his kennel.

It was incredibly painful to put him down. I held Henry in my arms as the injection took effect. The memory still brings tears. I will never get over knowing that I "chose" to end the life of a great friend, even though I know I did the right thing for both Henry and us.

We make the choices we have too for our pets and ourselves. Sometimes the right choice is the one that is the most painful.

crystalclear1027

how is he doing?

Thinking about you and your lovable baby! How is he doing? And how are you coping with all this? Just wanted to let you know that I am praying for him and hope he gets well!!!!