Why doxie? in USA

Spidandloki

Just a wonder but why are they called Doxies in USA? and Dachshund in the UK?
Any reason behind it or is it another biscuits vs cookies, chips vs fries thing lol

Inkeri

Haha! I have no idea. I'm from Finland and I thought that doxie was short for dachshund. Like a nickname or something, lol. :D

Haha! I have no idea. I'm from Finland and I thought that doxie was short for dachshund. Like a nickname or something, lol. :D
Yes, we americans are a bit lazy, and will sometimes shorten the word dachshund to doxie.

For the most part I use the full name, dachshund. But sometimes, on forums, etc. I'll use "doxie" because it is shorter, and easier to spell.

Living in the south, I will also often say "Ya'll" in stead of "All of you"

When I want to go some where, I'll say I'm "fixin' to go" instead of I'm "getting my things together and getting ready to leave."

Well, I'm fixin' to go back to work. Ya'll have fun playing with your doxies.

nola

Haha I say both, depends on who I'm talking to. Fellow dachshund owners it's usually Doxie. Same way I say y'All instead of you all or you guys

Doxmom

Yes, we Americans are a bit lazy, and shorten alot of words. But truly, the correct spelling of 'dachshund' sometimes escapes me. So to cover up the fact that I can't spell the breed correctly, I type 'doxie.' Strange how I know how to spell shih tzu, though!!!!

Last edited:

Steph

Did you just sneeze?
LOL!!

It is so much easier to use the "pet" names for a breed especially when you own it. When I'm talking to Doberman people I say I used to own Dobies or Dobes or even go so far as to say my Dober- (girl or boy I had both) Now it's my doxie, my weenie or long dog, lol. And for my shih tzu cross boys I usually call them my shih boys.

Spidandloki

Yes, we Americans are a bit lazy, and shorten alot of words. But truly, the correct spelling of 'dachshund' sometimes escapes me. So to cover up the fact that I can't spell the breed correctly, I type 'doxie.' Strange how I know how to spell shih tzu, though!!!!
lol i have problems spelling that to, it just dosnt stay with me think its part of my dyslexia.

Spidandloki

Yes, we americans are a bit lazy, and will sometimes shorten the word dachshund to doxie.

For the most part I use the full name, dachshund. But sometimes, on forums, etc. I'll use "doxie" because it is shorter, and easier to spell.

Living in the south, I will also often say "Ya'll" in stead of "All of you"

When I want to go some where, I'll say I'm "fixin' to go" instead of I'm "getting my things together and getting ready to leave."

Well, I'm fixin' to go back to work. Ya'll have fun playing with your doxies.
Thankyou for our lesson in American hun i found it fascinating and it bought a smile to my face. xxx

Vonoepen

I think they are called Teckels in Europe - they don't use the term dachshund - but in UK we use the term Teckel only for those from working lines. It seems we always need to change a breeds conformation for showing and create two different "types", working and showing. Look what we did to labs for example. I have a Teckel and she is a very different shape from a dachsie, much longer in the leg and a bit more compact in the body, (perhaps she's a rubbish specimen!) when I have worked out how to post photos I'll put one up of her.

Inkeri

It seems we always need to change a breeds conformation for showing and create two different "types", working and showing. Look what we did to labs for example. I have a Teckel and she is a very different shape from a dachsie, much longer in the leg and a bit more compact in the body, (perhaps she's a rubbish specimen!) when I have worked out how to post photos I'll put one up of her.
Yep, we have the same thing with labs in Finland too. The 2 types are very different from each other! It seems that the same thing is happening to dachsies in Finland as well, some breeders are already selling puppies only for hunters. It'll be interesting to see pics of your teckel. :)

Dachshund is 'mäyräkoira' in finnish and it means 'badger-dog'. :)

Vonoepen

hopefully I have now managed to get photos sorted! Well sort of, for some reason I cannot get photos from my Macbook to Photobucket so I'm trying this through Flickr. They were taken today and Lottie will be 5 months next week. She is a Teckel of German and Danish bloodlines. At the moment she looks quite smooth (apart from her legs and face) but longer wiry hair is coming through all over her body.

http://flic.kr/p/dgFHMh
http://flic.kr/p/dgFHtS
http://flic.kr/p/dgFFHi

hopefully I have now managed to get photos sorted! Well sort of, for some reason I cannot get photos from my Macbook to Photobucket so I'm trying this through Flickr. They were taken today and Lottie will be 5 months next week. She is a Teckel of German and Danish bloodlines. At the moment she looks quite smooth (apart from her legs and face) but longer wiry hair is coming through all over her body.

http://flic.kr/p/dgFHMh
http://flic.kr/p/dgFHtS
http://flic.kr/p/dgFFHi
The links say I don't have permission to see the pics. :(

Vonoepen

Glad you pointed that out Wandering man, thanks. Think I have that sorted now so please try again - good luck! :)

Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I love the rugged looks of your dog. Very handsome.

Doxmom

I love the second shot, Vonoepen - she's beautiful, and so is the Scottish countryside. I visited once and stayed at Gleneagles. It was wonderful.

The second dog is a German shorthair pointer, right? Lovely!!

Vonoepen

Yes Doxmom Scotland is beautiful - weather permitting! You're right the other dog is a German Shorthaired Pointer, the youngest of 5 that I have. She and the Teckel get on really well. They are very different and much more placid than the little Teckel, they also come back when called no matter how far away they are!