Wire haired dachshund puppy question.

ryniers

Hi guys

I am new here but not new to dachshunds so I don't know if this has been asked before. We have 2 dachshunds, one smooth and one long haired. I always wanted one of each coat type, so we decided to get a wire haired as well. We picked him up yesterday and we saw both the mom and dad and both are without a doubt wire haired. Now my question is this: the puppy looks exactly like our smooth one did when we got him. Can two wires produce a smooth or do the 'frizzy' bits grow out later? I have attached a pic of him. Any info will be appreciated.

Rynier

Attachments

Steph

If both wire haired parents carry for smooth, then yes, they can produce a smooth puppy in their litter. Your pup should be showing signs of being a wire by this age, but if in doubt look between the paw pads and that's where you will be able to tell. There should be harsh wiry hairs in between the pads to tell for sure.

ryniers

Hi Steph

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention he is 6 1/2 weeks old now. I looked between the paws and it looks normal to me for a smooth. But my wife disagrees with me and says there are more hairs. So I guess we will just have to wait and see how he turns out.

Steph

Actually, wire is the most dominant of the 3 coat types and long the most recessive. The interesting thing about wires is that they all have some form of smooth as an underlying gene, unless they are a "Silky" (wire bred to a longhair)

If you have 2 wire parents that look like this WwSS genetically, there is a 25% chance of producing a smooth haired pup. The trick being that small w in the mix because a smooths genetic makeup can be wwSS or wwSs (smooth and smooth carrying for long). I can't make a Punet square on here to show you exactly what I mean...so I tried to explain it the best I could :)

nola

Wire is dominate to smooth and smooth is dominate to long. If both your puppy's parents carry for smooth then it's quite possible your baby is a smooth. Personally, I think your puppy looks like a smooth

ryniers

Yes Nola

I tend to agree with you. But we will see how he turns out. It's not like I am going to give him back if he's not wired. Got him for the long haul, no matter his coat.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Huh, I must have gotten it turned around in my had LOL. I have done research, and a fair amount of it... but I research so much that I got mixed up LOL.

Dont worry Steph, I can draw a punnett square in my sleep LOL. I use it all the time in explaining Double Merle/Dapple :)

Steph

LOL! I hear you on the research thing. I went to a Dachshund Health and Genetics seminar last month and it has renewed my research on many different subjects in Dachshund genetics (I'm a nerd, what can I say) My passion right now being the search for an end to CDA or Color Dilution Alopecia which affects blue and isabella colored dogs. :D

Ruth C

I,m just abit concerned that the breeder let him go so early...6 weeks is very young to leave home...Our pups don,t leave the litter untill 9 weeks Our wire puppy joined us at 8 weeks and she was showing signs of wires ..i,m sure he will be a star whatever coat he has..

ryniers

Hi Guys

I know it's been a while but just an update: He turned out smooth. I am not sure if I am mistaken but don't the wiredhairs have a smooth undercoat and the wire on top? It this is so I think he got a double helping of smooth. He has some course hairs on his belly, but on his back is the silkiest softest coat you can imagine. He is even softer than our long hair! And he has the cutest personality. Won't swap him for the world.

Attachments

ryniers

Ha ha. 3 Dachshunds are more than enough. I won't go looking for more but if a wire haired happens to fall into my lap it will be VERY hard to say no.

LBandGauge

I have a Silky Wire hair. He looked like a long hair when we brought him home instead of a silky.
188.jpg
What he looks like now

securedownload (3).jpg
The day we brought him home