What is happening with Link's ears?!

9ballprodigy

This started happening about 3 weeks ago and the vet assured us that the ears were not damaged and that it should go away in a matter of weeks. Before it was only one ear but now it's both! I my puppy is about 16 weeks old.

The ears just folded backwards one day and now I'm worried it will stay this way for the rest of his life.

Attachments

Steph

The only thing I can think of right now, is that he is going through that lovely stage called 'teething' Teething puppies can sometimes have their ears do funny things because the cartilage isn't getting the same amount of nutrients at this point since everything is being used to get those adult teeth in and ready to go. All adult teeth should be in by 7 months of age.

So your vet is right, it should only be temporary and he should be back to normal in a few short weeks.

Aly's Mom

Haha, wow, his are worse than Aly's. Well our little Aly had that happening to her ear, just one of them for some reason a lot. It only seemed to last about a week or so. Each time we saw it like that, we would massage it back to how it was suppose to be. Our vet and trainer just told us the same thing, something to do with the cartilage wasn't fully formed or something like that.

If you don't keep *resetting* his ears, there is a chance they can stay that way. So just make sure each time they go *goofy*, you just fix it. We use to just fix it and rub/massage it for a minute or so. And repeat as necessary. haha :)

jax's_mommy

My pups ears fold back all the time! He is teething big time too. He is almost 5 months. About 18 weeks old. They should be just fine. My pups is beginning to look normal again. Still flipping backwards though lol I tell him to shake his head to fix his ears. Most of the time he does it, the rest of them time I have to fix it.

Aly's mom is right, if you don't fix it, there's a chance it will stay like that. It happened to my first doxie. She was a mini, I didn't know about that then, and her ears stayed that way.

9ballprodigy

I tried to massaging his ears but it does not make much of a difference. As soon as I take my hands off, the ears pop back into its goofy look. The perhaps I should let nature run its course. My other than option would be super glue his ears in place?

My son's minnie had ears like that. The breeder had a name for the ears, and indicated that it was a rare and desirable designer feature.

9ballprodigy

Well, rare or not, it is a feature that is rather unexpected in a dachshund. I'm hoping that this ear thing will resolve itself when his teeth are all in. But I think it's rather strange that I can't find much info on this condition on the Internet. I feel the cartilages in the ears near his skull and they feel rather stiff. So maybe his ears will stay like this.

Inkeri

I've never heard of anything like this. :) This is a nice forum, you always learn something new. ;) Our german shepherd mix used to have ears like that as a pup, but I thought it was because he hadn't decided how to wear them yet. ;) Now they're normal flappy ears.

Attachments

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Boo's ears are like that too... and he's 8.5 years old

Here's a goofy pic of his ears, only the one is in it's "normal" position, the other is flipped over backwards

nola

Nola holds her ears kind of like that on occasion. Otherwise, they're down. They stayed folded like that from about 12 to 14 weeks, then folded normal.
Here's her fold ears and her normal ears.

Attachments

Doxmom

Nola is so cute, Amanda - I like the 'fold-no fold' ear pictures! And I know this doesn't help at all, but Link is just adorable, no matter how his ears are folded!:D

Ali banks

This started happening about 3 weeks ago and the vet assured us that the ears were not damaged and that it should go away in a matter of weeks. Before it was only one ear but now it's both! I my puppy is about 16 weeks old.

The ears just folded backwards one day and now I'm worried it will stay this way for the rest of his life.
Hi my puppy is 15 weeks old n hers av started to do the same first one ear now the other has started ‍♀

DelliSchick

Oh thank goodness it’s not just mine! Tinkles is now 11 weeks old and this started also with her one ear about a week ago and now both! Hoping it will go back to normal..

Ali banks

Oh thank goodness it’s not just mine! Tinkles is now 11 weeks old and this started also with her one ear about a week ago and now both! Hoping it will go back to normal..
We’ve now put mole skin just inside her ears n they seem to be hanging straight