Toys That Might Last

chrischoi

My little man tends to destroy everything I give him. Kong Wubba was done within a hour. Every non stuffed and stuffed animal gets worn out. Anything with threads gets torn to shreds.

Any suggestions on durable toys that will last a few weeks?

Inkeri

Do you know Ikea? They have stuffed toys for children (very cheap prices also). I've bought those for Manu and they have lasted longer than any toy bought from a pet-store. :)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
The most long lasting toy I have, is a Chuck-it rubber ball. It's Orange with blue baseball-type stripes. It's made of soft rubber and only has one teeny hole in it, so the ball squishes. I have had the same ball for 1.5 years. neither my largish terrier, nor Mouse (my mini) have managed to even put a tooth mark in it... and it get's constant use by both, with major chomping :)

But otherwise, I buy cheap toys for Mouse to destroy... she really enjoys destroying (especially de-stuffing) toys, and toys are meant for enjoyment.

chrischoi

Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up with a couple Nylabones and a Bentoball. I figured my mini, Link could be spoiled again.

Dusty Puddles

Be sure to boil the nylabones for about 15 minutes before you give 'em to your pets. I learned this back when we used nylon model airplane propellers. It removes any internal stresses and helps keep them from chipping off in pieces.
You can throw in some beef or chicken bullion cubes and that really breaks their heart too.:D

chrischoi

Be sure to boil the nylabones for about 15 minutes before you give 'em to your pets. I learned this back when we used nylon model airplane propellers. It removes any internal stresses and helps keep them from chipping off in pieces.
You can throw in some beef or chicken bullion cubes and that really breaks their heart too.:D
I'll do that.

But the Rhino Rubber Nylabone... he already took pieces off.

Do we worry about letting them de-stuff and then possibly eat the soft toys? Milo loves them but we have already been to the vet twice for his "eating disorder" haha and I don't want to add another inappropriate temptation. His other trouble came from things like hair, plastic and sticks.

chrischoi

Out of nowhere he started to go after my shoes. My MAN-Ugg Moccasins, The North Face Leather Flip Flops and some dress shoes. He hasn't touched anything recently though.

Pongo

This toy still has threads, but is cheap to replace:

I go to Wal-mart and buy the cheapest socks they have... ones that are long (knee length or crew). They only ever cost me a couples bucks for a big pack. I fill one with an empty water bottle that has the cap screwed on (disposable ones) and tie a knot in the sock (the longer the sock the easier it is to tie a knot). He loves it, no stuffing to tear out and when it gets too worn out just replace it. A tip here, just to avoid confusing him, I always buy a different color socks then I wear (I wear black ones, so he always gets white), I never give them to him if they aren't stuffed with a water bottle and I always use socks that I have never worn or washed. This keeps them from looking or smelling like my socks so he doesn't develop a habit of chewing on my laundry.

Another toy he loves is when I take another water bottle (I use a Gatorade one because they are tougher), clean off the label and any glue, then drill a couple holes in the sides just big enough to fit a piece of his food (or if he's lucky, some cat food). I fill it up with an appropriate amount of food and he pushes it around the house for hours getting the food out. Sometimes I feed him his meal this way because he gets so excited to use it. A warning with this one is that it is a bit noisy and when empty if you don't watch him, he'll start to chew on the bottle with hopes that there is more food inside.

I love these because they are cheap and the later keeps him busy and enticed.

Last edited:

WillysMama

Those are great ideas Pongo! I am going to try them.

I'm glad to see that my dachshund isn't the only one who totally destroys any and all toys. The only toy that has remained intact is a black and white stuffed cow we got from Chick fila a few years ago. He's so bad, we have to hide his presents at Christmas. He has been known to sneak them out from under the tree and rip them open. Funny how he always knows exactly which ones are his! :D