Today we learned how to alarm

vizzla

I went to a really usefull cours today with Alf.
The goal is for him to tell me when other dogs or people are nearby - by him comming to me and wait for a treat instead of launching at the dogs.

The method is in for steps:
1= rewarding the dog when he is LOOKING at another dog
2) rewarding when the dog is LOOKING at another dog, and turns to me for a treat
3) rewarding the dog when hes LOOKING, TURNING and COMES to me (two steps)
4) rewarding when the dog, from a distance, LOOKING, TURNING and COMING to me!

The other dogs made to nr 2 in todays class.
Alf, on the other hand, had much more trubble with other dogs than I knew. He is just scared of other dogs, and when he has been stairring at me and waiting for a treat - wich I interpered as him being attentiv to me - was him beeing to scared to even look at another dog. So we have to be on level 1 for quite some time.

We have to make him feel good about LOOKING at another dog, before we can expect anything else. Ive got a big "aha" moment today!

Now I will really try to make every dog-meeting as calm and positive as possible for little Alf so he doenst have to be scared any more! Poor boy! I didnt know he was so fearfull! :(

What have you learned on a course? :confused:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
That's actually a great method for helping fearful dogs. I use the "look at that" game ALOT when working with my fear aggressive boy, Oliver

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuV3MOvvyr4]Yoshi Plays Look At That (using a clicker) - YouTube[/ame]

Inkeri

Good luck with training!! :) There's so much to learn when it comes to our dogs, I guess.

We just had the first long walk ever with our younger dog without him pulling the leash! :) Even when there was other dogs he didn't pull the leash or start barking. Wow. Great success. :)