Swimming

Inkeri

Do you guys have indoor swimming pools just for dogs? We have one nearby. :) Our boys love it! They love swimming in lakes in the summer, but this is great fun during the long winter. And good sport for their long backs also!

Attachments

JPsMOM

How lovely!! I wish we had something like that! I bet it's great fun!! =) Our town doesnt even have a dog park!

Sent via tapatalk

ZAZusmc03

Tucker's Daddio
How did you all first introduce your pups to swimming and at what age did you start? Tucker and I have been going to the dog park and meeting all sorts of other dogs and people and he's doing so well with socializing. I really would love to get him into swimming next!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nell

I think a best way to get a pup used to water is in the bath. I start with just a couple of inches of water, their favourite toys and plenty of treats. No washing! its got to be fun time. You can then slowly add a few inches at a time. We don't have access to a dog pool here, but as they are confident in the water they are straight in a lake or at the beach!

Attachments

ZAZusmc03

Tucker's Daddio
The tub was my original plan, just wasn't sure what everyone else did.

Inkeri

I don't have a tub, so we just went for the lake. I went in the water knee-deep and lured Manu in. After the first paddles it was quite easy. :) All our dogs love to play fetch, so throwing a ball or a stick makes them want to jump in after. ;)

ZAZusmc03

Tucker's Daddio
I think fetch is going to be the way to get Tucker into a lake or stream. He loves his tennis ball!

CaseyKC

I love this thread. It seems everyone is having so much fun. When my Libby was a little over a year, I was standing in the lake and she was running up and down the dock. She seemed so worried, she was whining and making distress sounds. I told her to come in the water, but she ran up on the shore. I moved a bit away from the dock and she came dashing along the dock, jumped in, and grabbed the skirt on my bathing suit and tried to pull me to shore. She thought she was "saving" me. I don't think she even knew she was swimming, she was so focused on my "rescue." Later, I threw a stick a few feet away from me in the water and she decided to "save" the stick. She took it up on shore and came back to "save" me. After we played save the stick, and save some lake weeds, she realized that mommy did not need to be "saved and she began to really love the water. Sometimes we go to the ocean and she is either digging world class holes in the sand at the water's edge, or if it is a calm day and the waves are not to rough, I will toss a golf ball, which sinks and she will actually go underwater to "rescue" the golf ball.

zaniitee9

Ah, I wish in my town would be a swimming pool for dogs, it looks like so much fun! We don't have even a lake in here :(
But we do have a bath instead :D

Inkeri

This summer we went swimming together, me and Manu. :) We were also running and "flying" on the beach. :p

Attachments

vizzla

Oh this summer was so hot in Sweden. We went swimming every day! Now the snow will come soon so we will go to the doggyswim :)

Playing in the Creek to cool down.

Thanks all for sharing there photo's. We just love to look at them all. This is Heinnie & Ressi Cup playing in the creek to cool down on a very hot day. They love it.

Attachments