Supremely stubborn daschie

Dommie

I adopted Dom probably two to three months ago and he is the cutest mini ever. Very loving and is constantly amazing me with his intelligence. He is around a year old and I adopted him from a woman who found him wandering in the streets. My problem with him is that he a) barely listens to an training I try to give him. He sits and stares blankly at me or will wag his tail and launch himself into my hand to get the treat. He is also very focused on my pet rat. He jumps up and lunges at the cage ALL night. He is loud and it seems like I've tried every different training method and disobedience method and it doesn't work. Oh, he also has seperation anxiety. He cries and cries and cries if I disappear from view for even half a second-literally. He won't stay in a crate either. I love him but I would love to sleep in my bed at night without being harassed. He thinks its approprite to climb all over my face at night as well.

It's like no training, obedience, or discipline phases him. Please help!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Sorry I haven't replied earlier, I hope you haven't given up on us! I had some similar issues with Boo, his stubbornness is legendary! He used to climb on me when I was sleeping too, but as I have a mattress on the floor (just because of the doxies, I dont want them trying to jump on and off the bed) I would just push him off the bed, if he woke me up... He no longer wakes me up!

As far as the rat is concerned, He's a Doxie, he's been bred for hundreds of years to kill rats, and to never give up in his quest to kill rats... I'd be surprised if he wasn't constantly trying to get at the rat. My advice, put the rat in another room, and never let Dom in.

As to training, the only effective training I've found with my Doxies is Clicker training... makes them use their brains, and they think it's their idea!

"Reaching the Animal Mind" by Karen Pryor is an excellent read, and will give you an understanding of clicker training.

bazzais

I've got two (sort of mini)-dachshund and it appears they cant be trained - lol :D

They know exactly what I'm saying but they just choose to do things - well whenever they want too. :)

As for having a rat in the house too - I think even if you put the rat in another room it'll just bark at the door of the room.

You could try and introduce them I spose, it might work - but it will drive the dog mad I would think if you dont have the space - it'll be bitin ght e bottom of the door off to get the rat if left unattended in my experience - as DeafDogs says its what they are breed for really.

Baz

kingkillkannon

I have a female mini who was very similar to this. Very excited, bouncing around all the time, very in your face. We also have a rabbit that she was obbessing over, she would sit at the cage and whine and if the rabbit made a sudden move she would dash at the cage and smash her teeth off the bars. I started to get concerned for not only her physical being, but her mental health as well.

You have to establish boundries with her. You have to make the dog understand that you have a bubble, and she can only come into it when invited. If I am training, and she jumps on me to get the treat, I will firmly push her away and say "Down!" If you are consistant enough she will start to understand.

So many dogs I see have seperation anxiety and it amazes me, because it is so uneccessary and manifested by the owners actions. A lot of owners think its "cute" because the dog "misses" them, but in reality it is extreamly stressfull for the dog. There are many great articles on the internet about seperation anxiety, if you do a little research you should be able to correct this problem. Five Tips for Dog Separation Anxiety | CesarsWay.com

wetnosemafia

I just got my puppy two weeks ago and I've been struggling to teach her to settle down when she is alone. I found this video yesterday, and i've been working with her on it and so far she seems to be getting less nervous when I leave the room. Can't hurt to try:
Crate Training: Crate Training- Part 1- Clicker dog Training - YouTube
Being Alone: How to train your dog to be left alone- clicker training - YouTube

Just make sure to use treats your puppy really loves, Zephyr enjoys cheese, kibble that's been moistened with water, and freeze dried liver.

Reggy'smom

dachshund dens
I just got my puppy two weeks ago and I've been struggling to teach her to settle down when she is alone. I found this video yesterday, and i've been working with her on it and so far she seems to be getting less nervous when I leave the room. Can't hurt to try:
Crate Training: Crate Training- Part 1- Clicker dog Training - YouTube
Being Alone: How to train your dog to be left alone- clicker training - YouTube

Just make sure to use treats your puppy really loves, Zephyr enjoys cheese, kibble that's been moistened with water, and freeze dried liver.
Great idea. I think our Reggy is an acception to a lot of Dachshunds. He's not barky, We have a lot of wild life in our back yard and he just sits in the pool room and stares at the birds and rabbits. Boy if you let him out tho, it's a stealthing free for all and if he can he "will'' catch a dove and eat it. He's very quiet and easy going. He has his cute little ways of wanting attention, he'll go get his toy and start playing with it. If he wants food we're eating he simply sniffs his nose 'funniest thing ever' , he doesn't bark or jump up for our food, just sits and sniff his nose ( he doesn't get our food lol) but he will still sniff for it :) . He will take us to the kitchen when it's his meal time lol. Reggy's been this way since I rescued him at around 3 yrs of age. He's 9 now.