Sick Doxie

JCM

Hi everyone! I've had dachshunds for years, I need advice on my 9 y/0 doxie, Giz.

Last week he began vomiting. For two days he couldn't hold anything down. On day three, he was fine. A week later, the same vomiting happened. This time, it was accompanied by lack of appetite, lethargy, and mobility issues. He will suddenly begin to tremble, then lose bladder function and use of his back legs. This started a few days ago. When it happens, he immediately losses interest in being around us or food. The incidents are getting more frequent by the day.

He's been to the vet. Diabetes was ruled out, all his blood work was fine. The only issue was a high RBC count. Tomorrow he will get x-Rays.

I don't have money to take him to NCSU for intense work ups. Does this bunch of symptoms ring a bell for anyone?

Also, I don't mind if he can live a good life as a dog with mobility issues. I'll buy drag bags, bust my butt to get a wheelchair and so on. But, how do I know when he's no longer living well, as opposed to just existing? I'd rather help him cross over before things get worse, than force him to keep going.

He seems very worn down with everything that happening. I'll know more tomorrow (I hope). I really appreciate anyone who just "listened", I needed some other doxie people to talk to. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

dooleydog

I'm a very new dachshund owner myself so no advice. Just sending good thoughts your ways. I know it must be hard to watch you Giz go through something like this.

Penny

Other than the vomitting, it sounds like a spinal cord injury. Have a look at dodgerslist which is a website to help families dealing with spinal cord injury due to IVDD. I can't seem to get the link up at the moment but there's symptoms listed that indicate an emergency but certainly trembling, loss of bladder function and back legs means a spinal cord injury.

Are you keeping him crated? Crate rest is important if it is a spinal cord injury.

Other than this, it's best to go with what your vet recommends, who has looked at your dog and laid hands on him.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

JCM

Yes, he's crated. Thankfully, he likes the security of his crate and isn't a dog that you have to wrestle into it. I will check out that website Penny, thank you.

JCM

I'm sorry for the late reply.

The X-rays showed nothing unusual. She said he's healthy and sent us home with pain meds. She didn't address the vomiting because he wasn't exhibiting the symptom that day. However, it has continued since the visit.

We've called a second vet and hope to have him there tomorrow. I feel so bad for him.

JCM

The vet is certain Giz has megaesaphogus (sp?). The x-Ray confirmed it, as well as pneumonia due to aspirating. I'm so angry, because the first vet should have seen the pneumonia, at least!

He's very weak, very dehydrated. He is staying overnight, well, a few nights. They have him on IV antibiotics and fluids. I've read about ME and I don't know what to do. His case of it is pretty bad, the vet isn't very hopeful. I asked for his opinion, and that's the implication.

He wants to take a few days to treat Giz for the pneumonia, and hydrate him. I'm not sure he'd have a great quality of life, being in a Bailey chair for hours a day, on multiple meds. However, I don't want to give up.

I guess I'm in shock. Any advice/thoughts are welcome.

Penny

Maybe there's a support group you can join. I know this one is for breeders but there's a lot of experience you can glean...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/567813436564508/

I know this lady has a megaesophagus doxie..I think she would be very helpful to talk to..

https://www.facebook.com/PamJG?fref=ufi

How is it that he's 9 years old and only now a vet is discussing this problem? I thought it is apparent in puppies right in the beginning.

Best wishes as you make your way through this.

JCM

There are two types: congenital and acquired. The vet thinks it may be due to myasthenia gravis.