Show training

Penny

Georgia and I have been going to class and I'm learning the ropes on how to show. It's getting easier and Georgia's made some borzoi friends. I'll have to get hubby to take a photo of Georgia with them. She is as long as their faces. lol

Anyway, she's working on her form..

I'm not too sure what to do with bait while showing her. Ladies have suit jacket outfits that have pockets. I have a few jackets but they are all fake pockets, not that I want to be putting stinky bait in them anyway. lol One lady said she stuffs her bra, which is ok for her but I prefer a higher neckline so that when I lean over it's not a distraction from the dog. lol You know how hard it is when a lady's boobies are about to fall out that it's hard to look away. It's like you have to stare to see if it happens or not. lol

So I put these 2 pouches together. The black one I got from Dollarama, and added belt loops at the back, and a fabric bag with belt loops that I made that actually go nicely with a dress I plan to wear. The black one has vinyl on the inside that I can rinse out and the fabric can be washed of course. Being on a belt means that they won't be swinging around if they were on a cord, and they can be tucked toward the hip and still a bit hidden.

Penny

Yes there is a 3 day dachshund specialty coming up July 4th weekend. If you aren't aware, there are a bunch of extra events that come with a specialty that you don't get at a regular dog show event. It's always a big pull of dogs, travelling from the States and surrounding provinces. What a way to start my handling debut! lol Lots of extra eyes watching. Georgia's breeder is coming, about 470 miles or 750 kms.

The minis are not judged with the standards in Canada like in the States. How is it in other countries?

Nell

Your treat purses are a really good idea Penny.

I don't have much experience of showing dachshunds but used to show my Pointers.

The thing I found the hardest was getting the right pace of the "walk" to get the best extension for the dogs gait. Every dog has an individual pace so getting the right speed of walk for your dog can make such a difference. I used to practice with someone filming it as I walked (or in the case of Pointers, run!) at different speeds, when you watch them back you realise what a difference it can make to "showing" the dog to his best advantage!

The mini's and standards are also judged separately in the UK.

Really hope you enjoy the show, am sure you will both do really well.

Penny

The thing I found the hardest was getting the right pace of the "walk" to get the best extension for the dogs gait. Every dog has an individual pace so getting the right speed of walk for your dog can make such a difference. I used to practice with someone filming it as I walked (or in the case of Pointers, run!) at different speeds, when you watch them back you realise what a difference it can make to "showing" the dog to his best advantage!
You gave me a great idea. If I can convince hubby to take video, I can send it over to the breeder and get some pointers on speed.

Inkeri

You have to inform us on your success then Penny. :)

I've been practising with Reino just like that, my husband filming us. And I even took this handling-course in january because I had no idea what I was supposed to do. :D

In Finland there's 3 size-groups; rabbit, mini and standard and they're all judged seperately.