Should I Worry

dooleydog

My son took our year old dachshund on a walk tonight and apparently Dooley got hold of some type of small animal. My son tried to get it from Dooley but couldn't and he ate some of it. It was either the head of a small bird or a small mouse. Should I be worried? Is there something I should do? Not sure how to handle this. Any advice would be helpful.

HilyBee

It's very common for dogs to eat small animals. Keep a very close eye on him. If the animal was already dead Dooley may have picked up some nasty bacteria. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take him to the vet to have his blood tested for worms, parasites and bacteria.

Does your son know if the animal was dead or alive?

jarredfeet

Our Jarred always sniff and hunt for small animals too which we are glad he never tried to eat them but we always ensure he is up to date for protection. Hope your little one is just fine, observe him closely and take to the vet if you notice something wrong.

dooleydog

Thanks for all the responses. My son isn't sure if the little critter was dead or alive. We are watching Dooley very closely and so far he seems fine. He ate his dinner and breakfast with no problems and has shown no signs of tummy troubles. He is up-to-date with all of his shots and worm medication. Hopefully there will continue to be no ill-effects. I so appreciate this forum and how newbies like myself can come to find answers.