Scary story :O

Ilovemylily

So today we took our dogs out for a walk this time we decided to take them to a local farm/park. We were walking along and i stopped to change shoes because i knew there would be a little creek on the otherbside of the hill but as i did little lily got lose and started running towards the water. At first i wasnt worried cause i know that she is hast been very fond of water she even hates baths but to my surprise she jumped righht in like if she was a PRO!! and as soon as she did she started to sink in and freak out! I didnt know she cant swim!!!!!!! I yelled at my husban to go in and save her cause he was closer and he went in and got her! ( water level was at his shin) but i completely freaked out!!! How could i not knnow she cant swim!!!!!! The scariest part of my day!! Definately has this happened to any of u guys!? I know its kind of a dumb question but is it cause she is lond and has tiny legs that she couldnt keepmherself above water?

nola

Yikes!!! Glad she's okay
Never had anything like that happen; my girl's been to the beach a ton since I got her almost 2 years ago

Ilovemylily

Yaaa!! She definately doesn't know how to swim!! I thought that dachshund couldn't swim for a second since their little legs are so small and their bodies are long but I just looked at a bunch of utube videos and man dachshund are great swimmers!!!! Anywho I just ordered her a life jacket:/

Inkeri

Yep, dachsies can swim. :) I actually thought all dogs know how to swim naturally.. Maybe you should teach her how to swim? Hold her above water and make sure she starts kicking. :) The life jacket is probably a good idea, though. ;)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Yep, dachsies can swim. :) I actually thought all dogs know how to swim naturally.. Maybe you should teach her how to swim? Hold her above water and make sure she starts kicking. :) The life jacket is probably a good idea, though. ;)
Or just get her another Doxie to use as a Flutter Board? That works just as well, according to Mouse LOL

Ilovemylily

Hahahhahah that's hilarious!!!! I wish I could have another one but hmm I think I got my hands full with this one! Anyway ya I tried holding her and letting her paddle with her feet she did well but as soon as I started letting go she would start sinking:/, it was pretty crazy tho she was so excited to jump in an did it like a she knew how!

Kitaku

i wonder if maybe her leg didnt cramp or something jumping in the water. it was probably a shock poor thing. i bet she won't do that again LOL

Ilovemylily

Nop,I don't think her leg cramp she's done it a couple of times now she jumps in and starts paddling her little legs and starts to sink in :( but im always there to hold her up!