Pregnancy Week by Week

Nikky5000

We caught Starr digging around under the desk and on the couch. So she is officially moved to her whelping area and will eat there sleep there. She will basically live there
In hopes of when it's time she will feel comfortable enough to have her puppies there.

lucerogina

This is very interesting. I have not commented on the thread yet however wanted to let you know I was watching and hoping for a safe delivery. Give mama a kiss.

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

Nikky5000

Thank you we all are hoping for an uneventful whelping too. In 18 more days she can have the puppies at any time but her due date is in 23 more days. Time is flying by with this litter. :D

Nikky5000

I just noticed Starr has her pregnancy discharge. She finally got it. There is a lot of debating on whether or not the discharge is the mucus plug or not. Or that each puppy has a mucus plug. Well I am going to clear what I can up. Dogs only have one mucus plug the mucus plug is what keeps the cervix closed and prevents puppies from being born and around week 6 dogs start to shed the plug and by day 58 is should be completly gone and at that point puppies can be born any time. Whether or not that discharge is really the mucus plug or not I am not sure my vet has said that it is the mucus plug. But some other vets say it's just discharge. I would love to hear others opinion on the subject.

Nikky5000

Starr is huge she can no longer jump you can she wants to be she just can't do it. She has doubled in size. She currently is the same size as she was during her 2nd litter on day 63 and she had 5 puppies in that litter. We aren't sure how much bigger she is going to get she's suppose to grow bigger everyday but her belly is so stretched and tight. She is a chow hound now she ate some chicken some beef and gravy 2 pieces of thick bread and some french fries all in 10 minutes.

Nikky5000

We just weighed Starr she is 13 pounds before we bred her she was 9 pounds she gained 4 pounds. She still has 2½-3 weeks left. We are not sure how many puppies she is going to have but there is no way this is going to be a small litter. We don't know if we want to do x-rays anymore for the simple fact our vet who we are used to and is great at doing the x-rays is going to be out of town and won't get back until Starr's due date :(

Nikky5000

In 2 days Starr will be 7 weeks from her first tie. She is very huge she only sleeps stretched all the way out. She has been pacing lately but I think it's because she can't get comfortable. She doesn't like anyone touching her belly anymore I think it's because it causes the puppies to kick. I should really be able to see puppies moving this week. I am updating this 2 days early because I might not be able to log in because I am spring cleaning and redoing a room and maybe the dog room not to sure yet :)

Last edited:

Nikky5000

Starr had a couple of loose bms for the last couple of days. So I just gave her some canned pumpkin on some white bread and that should help settle her stomach. She always gets loose bms around this time in pregnancy I think it's her bodies way of cleaning its self out or it could be there is over crowding of puppies. Won't know until she has them :)

Nikky5000

We saw major puppy movements and felt little paws :D I keep trying to catch the movements on camera but the puppies stop moving every time I start to record :( people are starting to think I am crazy because I am trying to send the videos of puppies moving to people on our waiting list but every time it's just a video of Starr's belly and no movements. I will get the movements on camera I am determined ;)

Nikky5000

Today we replaced Starr's whelping bed's cushion with pads and sheets to encourage nesting which she took to immediately she is currently digging around and making it the way she likes. We will put the cushion back after she has the puppies which will be in a week or 2 she always has them early or exactly on day 63 never late.

Nikky5000

I am so ready for puppies but they need to stay in a little longer to finish developing dogs can have puppies from 58-65 days. Starr is only 44 days along she still has 14 more days and she can have them any day. I hate waiting for puppies it seems like you wait forever for the puppies to get here and then when they finally get here time flies and they are leaving to their new homes before you know it. Time can be so cruel :(

Nikky5000

I am at a cross road with Starr I need to leave to get more food for her and and start stocking up because in 13 days we will be on lock down waiting for pups. So back to before I got side track we are at a cross road because I need to leave but she hates when I leave her by herself she get all stressed out and starts howling then the other dogs join in just isn't good sounds like I live in a zoo with a pack of wolves but then when I take her in the car she stresses out starts crying and panicking which isn't good for her or the puppies so I have to come up with a solution. Any ideas? :confused:

Hunter's Parade

Do you think she will be able to deliver naturally after C section?I'm thinking if I ever will be able to breed my female again and not hurt her by this operation.I will be watching you closely,and I hope she will deliver naturally.

Nikky5000

Yes she will be able to deliver naturally. I have had dogs who had c-sections and went on to deliver naturally and so did my breeding mentor. The key is to give the dog enough time to heal just because the outside is healed it doesn't mean the inside is. I usually give my females a little over a year to heal then the next heat after the break I breed them and they are fine. :)

Nikky5000

Starr gave us a little scare last night she was panting but it stopped after 10 minutes. It might have been braxton hick contractions but she is totally fine ate all her dinner last night is drinking water and sleeping.

Nikky5000

Next Saturday Starr is getting x-rays to see how many puppies will be joining us. I am going to a new vet clinic I never been here before. I really don't have a choice my normal vet is charging me $58.00 for the visit $250.00 for one x-ray picture. The new vet clinic is charging me $25.00 for the visit $116.00 for two x-ray pictures. I could care less about the price I signed up for that when I decided to breed it's just with only one picture it is so easy to miss a puppy or two because they hide behind each other when you get to different angles and views you are less likely to miss a puppy. I tried to get my regular vet to do 2 angle but they will charge $250.00 for the second angle and that isn't reasonable when a another vet 10 miles away from me will charge half of what they are asking and give me 2 different angles. So to sum everything up I am getting x-rays next Saturday a whole week before Starr's due date

Nikky5000

Fetal Doppler. Net make sure you order at least 2 bottles of Aqua sonic ultrasound gel it is water based and completely safe for or around pets. They give you a tube of their own get but it doesn't list anything so it might be silicon based which is toxic for pets.