One year of brushing teeth...

Penny

Last Feb we brought the girls in for their dentals. Engli at 12 yrs old had a bill of $800, Georgia was $400, for the total of $1200. I was hoping that we would not have to put Engli under anymore with her advanced age so we practiced brushing with both girls before the cleanings to get them used to it, and continued on through the year.

Feb is here again, and today here is Engli's teeth...

Healthy, nice gums. Total cost of dentals this Feb...Zero.
I think we'll continue with the brushing.

Inkeri

Good job! :)
I think I'll start the brushing also, although our dogs have no teeth-problems - yet. I have insurance for them both, but it doesn't cover tooth-issues.

babysis

Great job! I have been trying to do that to Baby (12y) and she bites the tooth brush or my hand and she can't go under because of age and allergic to all anesthetic. But my Marley he loves it! Any secret to doing it?

Penny

Oh gosh, they sure aren't 'compliant', huh? Just like mine. lol
I give them my calm assertive 'stop it' and look them in the eye. Then they're good for about 15 seconds. lol

I tried this tactic. What do you think?

He was so stinkin' happy about the kong to himself I could brush all of one side. lol The other side, well, not so good. :p

babysis

LOL I think that went great for one side! At least they will be pearly whites! I have to litterally hold Baby down and try and attempt which usually ends in my fingers being numb. I usually talk soft to Baby and tell her how good she is but as soon as my hand goes near her mouth...she likes to show all her teeth to me. I guess it's her old age...but I won't tell her she is old!

MatthewLP

I use a finger brush I think its faster and easier. I mess with my Dogs cheeks and gums so they are very use to it by now. Kai.... LOL well thats another matter.

ldivinag

so do those treats that claims to reduce tartar and plaque build up NOT work?

i just got a 3 y/o from the shelter and i dont know about starting him off with brushing teeth the old fashioned way.

unless they make toothpaste that taste "good" to them???

nola

No, the only things that really work for teeth cleaning is regular brushing and a raw diet rich in bones. :)

Great job! I've been brushing Nola's teeth since i got her at 8 weeks, and she's 2 1/2 now. Her teeth are gleaming white! My vet is always so impressed.

Penny

so do those treats that claims to reduce tartar and plaque build up NOT work?

i just got a 3 y/o from the shelter and i dont know about starting him off with brushing teeth the old fashioned way.

unless they make toothpaste that taste "good" to them???
There are a few flavors of toothpaste made for dogs.
I use a child's brush and it's fine.