OMG... I am soo ready to strangle this puppy!!!

jazzaria

Update on Spekkle

So Miss Spekkle was spayed just before she turned 5 months old, and now she is turning 6 months old tomorrow!! Hard to believe that we have had our gorgeous baby for 3 months already!! Anyway.. We have definately had our ups and downs, and they have all been centered around potty training...

It was assumed that some of the issues we were experiencing with Spekkle was because our vet thought she was doing some marking as we were her 3rd home in the first 3 months of her life. I have to admit that at the vets suggestion we spayed her about a month early... but the potty training issues did become less of a problem.. and we started having a lot less accidents.. however this did not resolve the issue completely..

We recently took a trip back to my home town, and I was able to take Spekkle on the plane with us in a little doggy duffle bag... Which she loves and uses a lot here at home to go virtually everywhere with us... however while I was getting things ready for us to fly out I looked at her little bag and decided that I was not really going to want to have to clean the whole bag if there was an accident... so the bright idea of doggy diapers came to mind!! (hmm and I thought diapers and potty training were forever going to be a thing of the past when my youngest child..who happens to be 4 now... started using the potty)...

Well as it turns out while we were visiting my family, my parents happen to have a very well fenced in section of the yard connected to the back door!! Spekkle was able to go in and out of the house on her own terms, and when inside the house we used doggy diapers... However Spekkle has only ever used the bathroom in a diaper ( we modified some baby diapers eventually) once... and let me tell you she did not like this happening and she made sure everyone around knew she did not like this.... after that 1 time Spekkle did not have another "accident" in a diaper!

So since coming home I have only had 2 potty accidents in the last few weeks!! I had been trying to potty pad train Spekkle and had moved her to a larger crate, lining half the crate with a puppy pad, and making a little plastic box for her blanket on the other side of the crate to define potty and bed areas... Spekkle has gone everytime we did not get her outside in time into her crate, and gone potty on the puppy pad!! ( with the exception of the 2 accidents of course), I am however making her have a doggy diaper on when she is in the bed as I do not fully trust her yet, and this gives us both a bit of peace with the situation!!

I am excited and am hoping that we may be finally coming to a breakthru in potty training!!!

bazzais

Some wonderful pictures and videos in this thread :)

I am so glad (well not glad for the pee pee everywhere but..) that its 'normal' - I was told by the breeder its may be a problem too.

I live on a farm and they spend most the time outdoors - they seem to come in and pee when its raining - no respect imo ;)

To help stop night time peeing I just dont give them any water after a certain time in the evening - they are not going to die of thirst if they have had access all day. Either that or just let them sleep in the bed (which happens most nights grr :rolleyes: ) and they dont even bother getting up cos they are too lazy/comfy/lording it up.

My little girl is just over 1 year now and its only the last few weeks that she has stopped weeing from excitement from when you come back to the house to see her - I'd only have to go and hay the sheep for an hour or so - then when I get back to the house and said hello to her she would just wee with excitement, waggle her tail in it - absolutely no idea. As you said even if you picked her up its just a wee fountain going on. (100 times better than picking up a sheep and finding its shitting in your boot!)

I dont bath my dogs as they are not the worse smelling thing on the yard - its normally me + it rains alot here :)

I also have stone floors, it being a farm and always covered in shitty boots of some kind so its not oo much of a problem with a nice mop and bucket :)

Baz