Need advice/help asap puppy biting/nipping

otis

Well here it goes. Stella my new baby bit/nipped both my niece and nephew in the face today. 1st Kylee my 4 year old niece bent down by her and she jumped up and got her in the lip. Second, Josh my 6 year nephew was playing with her on the floor and she jumped up and got him on the cheek. Otis has never done this to the kids for no reason, he is 2 years old. Stella just turned 11 weeks yesterday, how can I teach her that this is not good behavior. Heather

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Puppy biting is really easy to train out... Ignore. If Stella touches you with her teeth, stand up, cross your arms, turn around and stare at the wall... dont move, dont look at the pup, nothing, just stand like a tree. when she plops down and looks at you like HUH? Whats up with this? then get back on the floor and play. Repeat, repeat repeat! never fail to do the tree thing, always react that way EVERY time her teeth touch you... within a few days, you'll have a pup that learns that the game is over when she uses her mouth on skin, it's not fun at all, so better not do it!

Inkeri

Good advice! I had biting problems with Manu when he was a puppy. He was nipping all the time... We just told him "no" (have to admit, i even bit him back once :D , that made him stop for a while). And the kids just stopped playing with him if he started biting. I think this "tree-thing" and total ignoring would be more effective. :)

bazzais

But you cant teach a kid that young to train your dog with those instructions - best just tell them not to mess with the dog and dont put their faces too low for the time being.

Baz

Inkeri

But you cant teach a kid that young to train your dog with those instructions - best just tell them not to mess with the dog and dont put their faces too low for the time being.

Baz
Yes, that's true. And you should never let them play without supervision either. We had very strickt rules on what the kids (3 and 6-year old boys) were allowed to do with the puppy and everything went very well. 3 of them are best friends now. :)

bazzais

The 'trouble' (and I use that broadly) is that kids and pups are generally at the same playful stages, trying to find boundaries, poking, prodding, licking, tasting.

I wouldnt let my dogs out of my site (on purpose) if their are 'hippy' parents around who think its ok for their kids to be with dogs while they slink off and have a meaningful conversation somewhere else about pottery.

When you have animals or pets you have to assume the responsibility for their behaviour. Or their presumed behaviour after you have experienced it. Owning a pet or animal is about learning on both sides.

Baz

otis

Stella, grew out of it her self. She is 19 weeks now, and behaves pretty well. The only issue were having is the potty training. She goes in the house so now Otis the 2 1/2 year old thinks he should to. She is getting a little better at that too tho.

Bensmith1

Puppies biting !

Hello dear,
I wanted to share puppy behavior
All puppies have biting issues, its a definitely ordinary part of puppy conduct! Some breeds, and some distinctive puppies might be considerably more unyielding about it than others, and its regularly more extraordinary in puppies taken from their momma before 8 weeks of experience.