Nail Trimming

Doxmom

How often are you trimming your pup's nails? Every six to seven weeks? Are you using a clipper or one of those electronic things (I forget what they're called)..dremels?

nola

Once or twice a month and we use te clipper/scissors looking type. The only person who can cut Nola's nails is my mom, no one else. Not me, BF, her vet only her "grandma" :D

Doxmom

Thanks, All...I brought Bree to the groomer today and she trimmed and dremelled. I've been looking at youtubes and really think I could do it myself. But my groomer was happy to see me (my pekingese had passed away about three months ago) and only charged me $10.00!!;)

PrettyPenny

I use the clipper and the dremel every 6 weeks or so. It's not difficult. If I didn't have 4 dogs, though, I would probably take them in to be done. Just easier. Lol.

We use to clip but now we use the Dremel, we put a little bit of peanut butter on a wooden spoon, and one of use holds them and gives them there treat while the other one uses the dremel on the nails. They like the dremel so much better, less stress, safer, less chance to get the quick. I have recently started brushing there teeth using a alittle bit of peanut also. They love the peanut butter so much they don't mind me brushing there teeth. It works.

Last edited:

southernlady

I take mine about every three to four weeks. I tried to do it myself but I was so afraid of hurting him I couldn't do it.

SSG.House

Since I've had Eli (1 week) I've made it an effort to lay him on his back. The first few times he was tenacious and cried...but he learned if he doesn't fight it, he will be released. I also make it a habit to play with his pawsso he gets used to them being handled hoping it will make nail clipping easier. Its a trust issue, not a dominance thing....and he actually seems to enjoy zerbers and belly tickles

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
holy! you all are extremely lucky! I have to do Mouse and Boo every 3 or 4 days! Oliver (my bigger dog) gets done every 2 weeks in the winter, but never when there's no snow, he wears his nails down himself.