My Baby is Suffering! PLEASE HELP :(

jessymatts

I have a 2 year old Dachshund named Riley. She is a mini long hair red dapple. She has one blue eye and one brown eye. The sweetest, loving, most adorable little doggy ever.

We live in Warwick, New York. She is the only animal in our house. We got her in March 2012 when she was eight weeks old. she is now 2 years old and is having a lot of problems. Ive been to 2 different VETS and Im still not happy and she is miserable.

September 2012 she had her first heat. She is not fixed yet because we have been dealing with a skin issue where she hasn't been clear of anything for more then a month and not medicated for a month to do surgery. At least that's what my VET is telling me.

She scratches herself 22 out of 24 hours a day and she wears a cone 24/7 because if she does not she will bleed to death.

She has a bunch of allergies but she is on allergy medication since the middle of April and there has been no change.

Any one experience problems, have any suggestions for me? Im totally at a loss and don't know what to do. She is only 8 pounds and taking half of 2 pills a day with drops.

CaseyKC

My Libby suffered from allergies for several years. We had two different blood panels done, shampooed her twice weekly with Head and Shoulders Plus, (this gave her temporary relief) had her on Atopica, as well as Keflex to kill secondary yeast infections of the skin and nothing seemed to help. Finally I began reading labels on dog food and rejecting any with wheat or corn in it. We saw improvement after we switched to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream formula. It took about six weeks to have all the lesions clear up. She is still on Taste of the Wild, low ingredient treats, and once a week she gets a square of salmon left over from our dinner. For the most part, she is free of the little bumps that caused itching and yeast infection on her skin. We only have occasional flair ups once or twice a year. I also start in February with a small amount, about 1/4 tsp daily of LOCAL honey (the bee keeper lives two blocks away.) In theory, the LOCAL pollens are incorporated in the honey. By starting with small amounts of this honey in February, she can build up immunity to the tree and grass pollens we have in the spring and summer. I also wipe her down with a damp cloth after we come into the house after a potty break outdoors. This may remove some of the pollen. For the past four years or so I have continued with Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream and the honey. Except for a few bumps, once or twice a year, when I immediately shampoo her with Head and Shoulders Plus, she is bump and lesion free.

Good luck, I know how terrible it is to watch a dachshund suffer with allergy skin problems.

Inkeri

Have you tried her on a elimination diet to figure out if she has food allergies? That is propably the cause for this. The most common allergenic foods for dogs are cow, rice, grain and corn. But it could be anything.

Are you giving her antibiotic? That usually causes yeast (is that the right word for it??). Has the vet tested if there's bacteria or yeast infection on the skin?

Good luck with everything!! I know the frustration... Our dachsie has been having yeast infections all over his body for almost a year now. We've tried many things and at the moment it's under control, but who knows for how long...

jessymatts

Have you tried her on a elimination diet to figure out if she has food allergies? That is propably the cause for this. The most common allergenic foods for dogs are cow, rice, grain and corn. But it could be anything.

Are you giving her antibiotic? That usually causes yeast (is that the right word for it??). Has the vet tested if there's bacteria or yeast infection on the skin?

Good luck with everything!! I know the frustration... Our dachsie has been having yeast infections all over his body for almost a year now. We've tried many things and at the moment it's under control, but who knows for how long...
We have tried a diet set by our Veterinarian which was this food that looked like white puffs. There was no change to her at all.

He tested the skin on her while she was breaking out and she ended up having a bacterial infection so that is being treated with an antibiotic.

Its frustrating and upsetting because I know she is so uncomfortable and I'm doing everything in my power to try and make her feel better but nothing is working. I just don't want her to suffer.

GJBain

We have tried a diet set by our Veterinarian which was this food that looked like white puffs. There was no change to her at all.

He tested the skin on her while she was breaking out and she ended up having a bacterial infection so that is being treated with an antibiotic.

Its frustrating and upsetting because I know she is so uncomfortable and I'm doing everything in my power to try and make her feel better but nothing is working. I just don't want her to suffer.
What is the normal food that you have been feeding her all along? Also what vet(s) have you been seeing? I am near you just outside of Middletown and can recommend a very good vet.