Minnies, tweenies, standards

I think I'm confused about the difference between a minnie and a tweenie. I always thought PD was aa minne, and he was, compared to our standard who weighed in at around 18 to 20#. PD has always weighed between 10 & 12 pounds. Then we got Frank, who weighs just under 10#. I realize he may not enough smaller than PD to be considered different weight class.

But the two are are different sizes. PD has a longer back and his legs are a little longer than Franks.

So, what does a minnie usually weigh? How common are tweenies?

wandering minds want to know.

and wondering minds, too.

Thanks.

garyd

My understanding is that miniatures are 11# & under at 12 months, standards are 16 to 25#, and in between are the tweenies.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Technically there is no such thing as a tweenie. Anything over 11lbs is a standard... however in the show ring the standards need to be 16+ pounds, so the 11-16lb range is often considered a tweenie.

Well, that makes sense. I thought I was confused when I started hearing about folks with 5# dachshunds.

It's still amazing to me how different PD and Frank are. Besides the coloring (Red vs. Pibald), PD's fur is so silky smooth compared to any other dog I've ever been around, and Frank's is more like Henry's was, soft but coarser than PD's.

nola

Ditto the others. I have one true mini (9lbs, she'll be two in Oct), and two"tweenies" (14 and 15lbs)

Steph

Funny thing is that there are 4 sizes of dachshunds...

Minis (8-11#) and Standards (16-32#), also there's the Kanninchen or rabbit dachshund which are 5-8# and only recognized in Europe as a size, then there's the "tweenies" Not quite minis, not quite standards, but somewhere inbetweenie (Sorry, I know *groan*) :D

Inkeri

Yep, there are 3 sizes in Europe: standard, mini and rabbit. They measure the chest to determine what size the dog is. It has nothing to do with weight.

Doxmom

Rabbit

Five to eight lbs.??? That's really small for a fully grown doxie..I don't think I've seen any that small. More common in Europe?

After we lost Henry, we got Frank, who is smaller than PD.
Now that we have had Frank for four years (gosh, has it really been so long?), PD seems like a large sized Doxie. I wonder if he has grown in size? Probably not. I think it must just be the comparison of the two.

Tikki

I always thought that there were only two types of Dachshunds, not counting their coats/colouring. Miniature and Standard. I know that Tikva's dam was a standard but she was enormous and well over weight in spite of feeding eight puppies.

Skinny Tikva is only half a Doxie therefore at ~6 kilos does not count in the classification.

CaseyKC

I always thought that there were only two types of Dachshunds, not counting their coats/colouring. Miniature and Standard. I know that Tikva's dam was a standard but she was enormous and well over weight in spite of feeding eight puppies.

Skinny Tikva is only half a Doxie therefore at ~6 kilos does not count in the classification.
Tikki, I saw this and it reminded me of you!