Maybe some help......?

jax's_mommy

Well, Jax has been having this hacking cough for the last couple of days.:( He's only vomited maybe 3 times. Each time its been a brown color. He doesn't seem lethargic. He's been his normal active self. Expect today, he's been sleeping most of the morning so far. I had to wake him up to go outside to keep him on a schedule.

The only thing I know that has changed is his food. He was on science diet small breed puppy food. That was the only one we could find with small enough kibbles for him to eat. And sicne that was running out, and his mouth was bigger, I wanted to switch him to the food I've always feed my furbabies. Puriena puppy chow. Now this isnt the first time he has been on it. When i first got him I had to wet it down so he could eat it. But since we were going to Clarksville (which is over a hour from us) we decided to get a small breed puppy food. Now that that one is running out i wanted to switch back. I did the usual, mixing in a little at a time gradually increasing. He has been fine with it until the last few days.

What made me kinda worrisome was this morning when I got him out of the kennel to take out, he had, what looked to me anyways, a white, not quite froth, substance under his lip.

Right now I cannot afford to take him to the vet, my husband has been working 60 hrs when we adopted jax but the last few weeks theyve cut him back to 40 hrs a week. So things are pretty tight right now till his hours go back up. (we were told that wouldnt be till after the new year)

Any idea's what it could be,:confused:what i could do, would be highly appreciative.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I'm just a worrisome mother about her baby :)

jax's_mommy

Thank you! Me to. My mom suggested it might be something caught in his throat, but I dont see anything. :/
About an hour ago he started getting up playing again, and did his first bark:) So maybe things might be ok. I sure hope so.

Inkeri

The vet would be the best thing for him, I think...
But if it is food related you could try cooking him rice and chicken for a few days (feed him only this). That's good for tummy-ache. And also make sure he drinks enough.
It's the cough that sounds worrying, though.

jax's_mommy

I hate the sound of the cough. And i wish i really could take him to the vet right now. But i cant afford it. An the only vet near us, doesn't have a payment plan its all up front costs.
He eats and drinks just fine. That hasn't changed as of yet.

Last edited:

southernlady

That is a tough one, when you don't have the extra money :( If he's playing then that is a good sign, at least I think so. But at the same time I'd keep a close eye on things and hope that this passes and it is only the food.

Inkeri

Yep. Dogs (and kids) always get sick or hurt when you don't have extra money or when it's sunday or other holiday and it's almost impossible to get them to a vet. It's like Murphy's law.

I hope this mystery cough passes soon!! :)

jax's_mommy

It is tough :( especially because he's my baby and I dont like when he isnt feeling good.
I think its a good sign as well. But he isn't leaving my sight! Im hoping thats all it is, the food.

This was taken last night.

southernlady

Oh poor baby :( I just want to pick him up and cuddle him.

I wonder if maybe he has a food allergy to the purina? That might account for the cough? Just thinking...

nola

How old is he? If he's under 5-6 months (looks like he is) he's too young for a food allergy. Ditto the chicken and rice. Could it be kennel cough?

jax's_mommy

He would like that, he loves cuddles :)

Im not sure, he was on it before the science diet. I only switched him to the science diet in the first place, because it was the only one i could find that had said small breed puppy. The purina puppy chow had to big of chunks for him.

So i switched it over. But now that he is older, He can eat the bigger pieces. I cant go out 60+ to buy the other again right now. So i switched back to the purina.

That was a little over a week ago when i started mixing the food to get him used to the purina again.

babysis

Did he have shots recently? Look at the shots he has had and check the side effects. Sometimes shots can cause an upset stomach and possible vomiting. (The effects can be up to a few weeks after the shots). Or he could have a sensitive tummy and the food switch might not agree with him. I've learned from the past that I had to switch my animals gradually from one food to another and mix the new food with the old food.

One thing that can be checked is see if he got a hold of something that might be in his throat. Sometimes it can be a string (maybe something from a toy) or grass or it could be a piece of food which is causing him to cough. It's kind of gross but you basically have to check with your finger down his throat. If he is drinking and eating and holding things down, take that as a good sign.

Something you can do at the moment, is hold him and cuddle with him :D I hope everything turns out okay! Which I think it will!

jax's_mommy

Sadly, he hasnt had his shots yet. He was recently sick a couple weeks ago and the vet said to wait a few weeks to come back and get them done. He just got over that around the 12th. We were gunna take him either this week or next week. But now we have to put it on hold untill we can afford the visit :(

southernlady

I don't know if you are near a Petsmart, but I put Reggie on one of their wellness programs. $25 a month with unlimited doctor visits, shots, bloodwork and a few other things. I pay for meds and when I took him a few weeks ago I had to pay for the biopsy. But it was $100 instead of the $400 it could have been. I also like that they are open on Saturday and Sunday.

jax's_mommy

the nearest petsmart, or any pet store for that matter, is 60+ miles away. I live in a very small town. The main place we have that has animal stuff is Walmart. The vet i take him is relatively cheap, The most I spent there was 75. That included the visit and meds. I just cant afford it right now. I really wish I could. With just my husband working, and his hours being cut, its really tight.

I would just call the vet and and ask , tell them your situation, and maybe, I'm sure they will suggest something for poor Jax. Praying for Jax and you. Good luck.

jax's_mommy

Thank you! I was actually thinking about doing that. my mom had suggested the same thing (great minds think alike! :D )

I have to wait till tomorrow, they arent open today :(