Kong Question?

Doxmom

Many of you have suggested Kongs for our doxies. The only ones I see in the stores are huge (if I'm looking at the right thing..) Do they come in smaller sizes for our little ones? Can you show me a link to what everyone is talking about? Thanks!!:cool:

Note: that link popped up automatically - but it still looks too big for my doxie..

Last edited:

nola

PetsMart should have several sizes. Nola chewed through her black one at 6mo old so I haven't looked at them in a while

Steph

I bought Arelus a small when he was a pup and he destroyed it. Got him a medium to replace it and he destroyed that one too...gave him the large that I had for my Doberman and it's still intact 8 months later. It really depends on how hard core your baby is about chewing - Arelus is pretty hard core. Every chew toy he owns is designed for a big dog...

Aly's Mom

Aly'smom: Is that a doberman in the pic? Awesome dog. :)
Why yes it is!! :) It is our doberman Zeus. He is Aly's big brother. LOL It is so funny taking them places, because we go from the mean bad doberman to the lil cute dachshund. haha
It is nice for people to see how well behaved and trained he is. So many people have such bad views on Dobermans, Pits, Rottweilers.

Doxmom

Thanks, all, for the advice. Tomorrow will be our very first dog park day and I thought we could go Kong shopping afterwards. Sounds like the size is really not the issue, more the strength of his bite!

Love the pics. Thanks again.:D

Steph

...because we go from the mean bad doberman to the lil cute dachshund. haha
All my doggie friends - even my family (who are big dog people) say that to me. I went from having 3 Dobes to having 3 little dogs, one being a dachshund. The funny thing is I see a lot of Dobe traits in my dachshund, so I tell my friends he's my mini doberman and they all laugh hysterically :D

Attachments

Doxmom

Okay, you Kong fans...How do you remove the last little piece still stuck in the Kong??? Bad design..:p

Steph

Toothbrush or there is a brush specifically made for cleaning Kongs...I think I got my brush at the dollar store.

The only thing that has ever gotten stuck is a treat made especially for the Kong. I don't like them. Peanut butter, bananas, tight-fitting biscuits all get cleaned out with that long tongue, nippy teeth and lying on his back using gravity. I haven't tried the freezing method (KONGsicle).

The ASPCA has detailed instructions on the web about how to stuff a Kong. Start easy with treats that will fall out easily, then make it harder by wedging large chunks into the Kong. There are recipes like a Western KONGlette. Or how about cheese followed by your dog's food and microwave for 5 seconds. There are recipes for a Nutty Monkey and Pumpkin pie.

I haven't tried cooking for the Kong, but I can see that it could keep the human happy and out of trouble for hours. Probably longer than it takes for the dog to unstuff.

The small looks like the right size for our 14-pound dox but it is cone shaped and he eats the pointy end. From now I will only buy medium which lasts longer, and is used as a chew toy on its own.

Last edited:

Doxmom

Wow, Natural Curl~

What great Kong-info!!I will definitely look into all these stuffing possibilities.. You've got some great ideas, there.

Thanks!:D