How can I keep my dogs from peeing allover the house? Is this a behavioral problem or

origamisoup

I have two 12 year old miniature female dachshunds (Dagny and Daphnee, litter mates). During the last two months they have been drinking lots of water and peeing allover the house for no apparent reason. They have had accidents inside before but have never done anything like this. The vet has ruled out diabetes and kidney problems. They eat Iams puppy chow, are given table scraps and are let out frequently but continue to pee inside the house.:confused:

schierling

As DonRamon stated it could be their age. We just lost our 13 year old terrier and he had something wrong with his bladder and spent many hours outside pacing and peeing. He had trouble urinating so he would just pace until he was finished.

Another possibility is diabetes. Excessive drinking, which causes excessive urinating is a symptom in humans and animals alike. You can have your vet test them.

ktshickle

DoxieLover
I have two 12 year old miniature female dachshunds (Dagny and Daphnee, litter mates). During the last two months they have been drinking lots of water and peeing allover the house for no apparent reason. They have had accidents inside before but have never done anything like this. The vet has ruled out diabetes and kidney problems. They eat Iams puppy chow, are given table scraps and are let out frequently but continue to pee inside the house.:confused:
Just out of curiosity, why are they eating puppy food at 12 years old?

DonRamon

Ninja
I would probably try to train them to use puppy pads, its not as ideal as having them do it outside, but atleat it wont be all over the house. From what i read dogs like to pee and poop in the places where it smells that way, and being dashies they have great smell, so if the area is not super cleaned they will return to that spot, so with puppy pads maybe u can try soaking a little of their pee in them so that way they know its their area. Hope it helps.

MatthewLP

You need to highly consider a Change of Diet. Excessive Salt will make anyone pee. also if they are Chewing rawhide or overly salty chew bones or other treats, Dog Food can be overly salty.

I lost my doxie of 16 years as of last october, And at the age of 12 years old I had to make these type of changes also for excessive drinking and pee'ing. A Doxie at that Age needs to be on a "Good" senior dog food. Cut out the salty foods, give less table scraps or even stop giving them any table scraps all togeather with changing them to a Sinor dog food and see if this change is for the better. You can always do the process of elimination and add it back later. but for now you need to make changes to rule out the bad. Your doxie may only be 12 years old in human years, however in dog years she is 84 years old. I might need some blatter control help too and better diet.

Matthew
Kansas City, Mo.

Last edited: