How are the mental health on dachshounds where you live?

vizzla

In Sweden we work towards breeding dachshunds with less backproblems and less aggression. Dachshounds in sweden have a roumer of biting easily. Many people may not understand their background as a hunting dog. They need to have quick reflexes. They think and act almost emediatly on triggers. No dogs are suited to be left alone with kids but dachses are more lightley to may be able to bite if they are trigged for some reason. Not because they are angry or visious but because of their breed.

What about the mental health of dachshunds where you live?

I belive that you need to be able to talk about the backsides of all breeds in order to do better for the breed and owners.

Steph

Dachshunds anywhere have the reputation of being mean and nasty little critters that bite very easily - the girls I work with were intimidated by my boy when they first met him. You are right though as a hunting breed, they're senses are heightened to hair pin reactions. If they weren't like that, they wouldn't be good hunters now would they? Most of the dachsies I've met were wary at first and then become major kiss machines once they realize you mean no harm.

I agree, no child should be left unattended with any dog, not just dachsies. I never leave my guys anywhere where my young niece and nephew are by themselves.

russelgrane

I have heard that dachshunds are very mean and also nasty, they bite very easily to any one. They are hunting breed, they can heightened to hair pin reactions also. Once should have to chase them very carefully.

vizzla

So sad that people think thay are mean! Often its about how the owner has socialiced them. We got our dog when he was 6 months old. He had not met many people, therefor he is barking on strangers. We worked hard to make him stop barking and always let him meat people that are nice to him. Now he dont bark, he can sometimes forget but he is much better...

nola

People around here think they're mean little lap dogs. They're always shocked when they see Nola walking politely next to me

Kitaku

me a delivery guy got scared when he saw my dog, he simply said "i got bitten by a dog like that" i simply told him that was not my dog that bit you and it's a prejudice. its not the dog but sometimes the owner you have to look at cause maybe they don't understand dogs. i showed him my dog he pet him and now he likes to pet my dog when he comes over.

Moodle

Where I live people love dachshunds. I don't think people here identify dachshunds as nippy. My dachshund Peanut has only nipped at one person. We were at the pet store and a little boy was pulling her ears and tail so she nipped his fingers. He wasn't hurt and I don't blame her for getting annoyed :p

ILoveLucy

I'm pretty new to doxies. I took in a 9-10 y/o girl that had been bred many times over. She's basically a sweet dog.
She DID snap at my daughter A LOT at first. She got in trouble for it and has since learned that my dd won't hurt her. To clarify, dd has never been rough with her or mishandled Lucy; I won't allow that either and have told dd that if she's too close and doesn't give Lucy some room, she's going to snap. But, at first I had to really watch Lucy (the dog) bc she'd bite at my dd when she thought I wasn't looking even if my dd was just petting her gently. She's probably been around rowdy or unruly and mean kids in the past so I know I have to give her a chance and some space with dd.

Downsides I've seen:
- High maintenance personality (arrogant, grandios LOL)
- Demanding
- Obstinate
- Stubborn
- Jealous
- Aggressive (quick to bite)
- Selective hearing
- Selective obedience

Honestly, it's been difficult lately. I didn't raise this dog, she came to us as an adult, with her personality, traits, habbits, esteem, already complete. We're almost six months in and I'm beginning to see the downsides. It is the stubbornness and high-maintenance personality that are the turn-offs for me.

These dogs are better suited for people who can and will devote themselves to the dog and put them above all else with no expectations of a return. At least that's my experience. My doxie isn't particularly loving or affectionate or even obedient, but she expects to get her way on all things. Not a good trade of for me.

That stubbornness is their downfall. It is the one thing that less of would make them a better breed for companionship. These dogs aren't bred for hunting anymore, they're more ornamental and bred for companionship. The stubbornness is obsolete.

So, I can see where they get the reputation as being nasty little bitting dogs.

One more thing- if she thinks she's getting discliplined, she tries to bite me. BIG mistake. HUGE! Or if she won't go in her kennel and I have to drag her from under the bed- she tries to bite me -- again BIG mistake!! :mad:

Last edited:
ILoveLucy: How do you dicipline and what do you do if she snaps/tries to bite? I had a friend who was quite harsh and the dog responded in kind and it did not end well.

Maybe some of the experts here can come up with a kind and calming reaction on your part. I've been there and it's not easy at times.

Sounds like a bit of hostility on both sides! Don't be afraid to reconsider your choice, especially with a child in the picture.

Inkeri

ILoveLucy, all those downsides that you mentioned are more or less true with dachsies, I think. :) For me, that's what makes them so special. I could have a golden retriever who would obey me and be fantastic, but wouldn't have the same character as my dachsie. The problem you have now, is that -like you said- you got your dachsie with a past. You haven't seen the goodsides, like being the most loving towards own family, being smart, being versatile excersice buddy etc.
I also have a rescue-dog and there's always things to consider when you take in a dog who's past is unknown. We've had Jussi for 6 months now also and we still have A LOT of work to do... Even though he was only 5 months when we got him.

Inkeri

Oh, and at least in Finland dachsies are still very much bred for hunting. The breed has it's roots and you should always get all the info on the breed before having the dog. I think it's sad if the breed's origins are forgotten in the process of breeding. Then it's not the same breed anymore. :(

Inkeri

These dogs are better suited for people who can and will devote themselves to the dog and put them above all else with no expectations of a return. At least that's my experience. My doxie isn't particularly loving or affectionate or even obedient, but she expects to get her way on all things. Not a good trade of for me. :mad:
Actually, these dogs will devote themselves to you completely and without a question if they think you're worth it. That's the best thing about dachsies, I think. :)

You just have to win you're dachsies trust and respect. :)

Vonoepen

Our little bitch comes from working stock and is the most friendly dog I've ever come across. If we likely to meet people on our walks I make sure she is firmly on a lead otherwise she is off to say hello. Her mum was the same. When we went to look at the litter we could hardly get in the house for this little dog's enthusiastic greeting. She is of Danish and German bloodlines. I don't know if folk who breed working dachsies pay more attention to the temperament of the breed? Just a thought. I have read ILoveLucy that dachsies don't respond we'll to harsh handling.

ILoveLucy

People who get along well with this breed don't do so because they're superior or because they're smarter. They do so because their personalities are more alligned with the traits of the breed. That doesn't make Golden Retrievers dumb or inferior. Plenty of people would argue that doxies are not superior and that a lot of their traits make them poor pets/companions as well. Implying that I'm a bad owner or subtly implying that I'm abusive crosses the line. That's not going to get me interested in what you have to say.

The OP asked about the aggression trait and working on breeding that out of them. I think that would be a great idea! I think breeders in the states would do well to take interest in that idea.

Put it this way-- GR's and Labs pee and poo in the house too, but if the dog truly likes me and wants to please, doesn't try to bite my kid or me, is sweet and trustworthy, I may look the other way until I can find a solution. BUT if the same dog turns it's nose up at me, looks at me sideways (you know that dog look that says "I'm the boss"), refuses to listen or bites me when I try to put it in its kennel, defiles my home intentionally because it didn't get "the respect it feels it deserves" or a ride in the car, or whatever- it's not such a great payoff for me. Especially when someone says "you just need to give more so that the dog will respect you." A dog does NOT respect a person that constantly gives it what it wants. It sees that person as inferior and the dog "behaves" because that person "behaves." See why non-lovers think Daschshunds are giant little A-holes??

Someone mentioned that the dog would be better behaved with someone "worthy" of it's obedience. That was really offensive. I am not a bad owner. I'm just not willing to devote my life and all of my time to this dog; I have other responsibilities. Responsibilities that wouldn't be a problem for a less demanding breed. That doesn't make me unworthy. And it certainly doesn't make daschshunds superior.

If it turns out that things don't work out for me and Lucy it won't be because I'm not a good owner. She's a lot better off than she was on the streets or being bred repeatedly. She's in AC all day, gets good food, isn't over-fed or under fed, heart medication twice a day (think about it, how did I even find out that she needs heart meds? she was a STRAY! That's right, expensive trips to the vet!!), car rides when I can, treats every time she walks in the door; I'm giving her the best I can give her, I even let her sleep in my bed and I don't hold it against her that she smells like corn chips. For a lot of other breeds, that would be enough. Weigh that against the biting and snubbing and peeing/pooping because she didn't get god-knows-what this time and her general indifference towards me; then to have another human being tell me that it's because I'm not worthy of her affection or obedience-- what do you get when that's all weighed out?

Maybe this will give insight as to how the breed could be improved so that more people can see the great things the breed does have to offer. There's a reason the OP asked about the aggression trait. It's because other people in other places recognize that this is a drawback of the breed. Not because of ONE person having a bad experience.

vizzla

I'm pretty new to doxies. I took in a 9-10 y/o girl that had been bred many times over. She's basically a sweet dog.
She DID snap at my daughter A LOT at first. She got in trouble for it and has since learned that my dd won't hurt her. To clarify, dd has never been rough with her or mishandled Lucy; I won't allow that either and have told dd that if she's too close and doesn't give Lucy some room, she's going to snap. But, at first I had to really watch Lucy (the dog) bc she'd bite at my dd when she thought I wasn't looking even if my dd was just petting her gently. She's probably been around rowdy or unruly and mean kids in the past so I know I have to give her a chance and some space with dd.

Downsides I've seen:
- High maintenance personality (arrogant, grandios LOL)
- Demanding
- Obstinate
- Stubborn
- Jealous
- Aggressive (quick to bite)
- Selective hearing
- Selective obedience

These dogs are better suited for people who can and will devote themselves to the dog and put them above all else with no expectations of a return. At least that's my experience. My doxie isn't particularly loving or affectionate or even obedient, but she expects to get her way on all things. Not a good trade of for me.

That stubbornness is their downfall. It is the one thing that less of would make them a better breed for companionship. These dogs aren't bred for hunting anymore, they're more ornamental and bred for companionship. The stubbornness is obsolete.
The list you made of downsides I believe comes from frustration. I wouldnt say thats how I would describe a dachshund. What can bee seen as arogant or demanding I see as a dog breed for making own desicions, that is required in hunting. Stubborn I see as a dog beeing independent. Aggressive and quick to bite is not the same for me. Aggression comes from a feeling, quick to bite is a reflex also needed in hunting under ground. You cant stop to think if a badger laches out! You just bite.

I strongly believe in preserving dachses as a hunting breed, not a companionship dog! There are so many other breeds that can live a less active life than dasches. And what is a companionship-dog? All dogs need acitivties, playtime, running free, walks every day. No dog should be left alone all day while owner works. They are bred to co-exist and working togheter with their humans. We made them that way.

Wouldnt you defend yourself if you knew you would get diciplined? She just learned thats how she supposed to do. I dont think thats a breed-problem or trait.

Obedient they get when they get WHY they should listen ;) They are smart. They dont do things just for me telling them, they do it if they get that it will give them more freedom or candy to do right.

So I feel sad that you dont get to see the other side, a dachs doing what its best at. Thats a happy dachs :)Good luck with your dog. Hope it will work out for you.

Jackson

We adopted our red, shorthair dachshund from the pound and he came with a few personality problems. He bites when he gets scared. He has bounded to me and hasn't bitten me, but has bitten my partner twice now and my son in law twice. I tell people that he bites and to leave him alone. Thing is he loves strangers in the house, snaps while in public. I have owned 4 dachshunds in my life..three red short hair and a long hair mini.

Last edited:

DoxieLovie

My dachshund is sweet and cuddly and all the characteristics of Doxies but he has NO patience when he says OFF he means off, if someone wants to pet him and he's not in the mood for it he will let them know growling and if the growl is not enough then he will snap, he doesn't make much damage because he's only 6 months but we are working on it specially since we have young kids. I find he is very jealous as well, but also these are things that we can work on since he is at such young age.

Last edited:

Doxmom

I must have been very lucky and/or my local breeder did a great job. Since my new doxie, Bree, is only seven months old, I can't comment on any back problems - none to date. But his personality is the most sweet and loving of any breed I've ever had, and I've had many. He is very affectionate and well behaved. He gets along well with my 14 yr old pekingese. Bree does get distracted on walks and has been pulling a bit when he sees birds or a squirrel. But my breeder apparently, raises very sweet doxies!

ILoveLucy

I must have been very lucky and/or my local breeder did a great job. Since my new doxie, Bree, is only seven months old, I can't comment on any back problems - none to date. But his personality is the most sweet and loving of any breed I've ever had, and I've had many. He is very affectionate and well behaved. He gets along well with my 14 yr old pekingese. Bree does get distracted on walks and has been pulling a bit when he sees birds or a squirrel. But my breeder apparently, raises very sweet doxies!
I really wouldn't say that is luck or good breeding or superior ownership. That's how your dog acts with you and your/his family. Mine's 10 and has a previous owner which I know nothing about. I'm sure if I'd raised her from a pup, she'd be that way with me too.

Yours gets along well with the other dog because he's a puppy and the other is older; that's just pecking order. It's not because he's particularly intelligent or sweet that way. (Not that he's not intelligent! Please don't read it as a jab at you or your dog)

The thing is, not all dogs are this way with 'new' people. Not all breeds. Daxies are NO fun for someone the dog doesn't like or doesn't know. That isn't helpful in promoting the breed and makes them a particularly difficult rescue/adoption. Thankfully mine likes me enough that we can work it out; and I really do like her too. But that's the downside to daxies.

Just bear in mind that you are seeing things from your side, as the owner that is raising this dog, that doesn't mean that he wouldn't have these negative traits with others.

It's just food for thought. Don't take what I'm saying harshly.