Hello there! I'm new. I just inherited a Dachshund!

• Thread starter Deleted member 978
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 978

My Name is Christine. I used to be an A.C.O. but there aren't any No kill shelters near me so I rescue on my own time. I just got my girl Princess Peach a.k.a Peaches. My great aunt was put in a nursing home and I inherited the dog. They said she is 4 months old but she's kind of big. She still has puppy teeth though. I've fostered Dachshunds but never owned one. She's hilarious! But she happy pees. Do they ever grow out of that? I'm surprised at how smart she is and how well she pays attention. I specialize in pit bull/bulldog behavior. I've been training bulldogs for 8 years and most of them are extremely stubborn. It's nice to train something one time and have the dog conceive the point.
I think her color is called dapple. she's black and grey. I believe she is a standard dachshund. I've seen the minis and she's a lot bigger.

Peaches

Steph

Hello and welcome!

Your pup is beautiful and yes, she is a dapple - a solid black dapple, meaning that she has no tan points. How much does your baby weigh in at, do you know? Most dachsies achieve half their adult weight by the time they are 12 - 14 weeks (3 - 3 1/2 months) My boy is 15 lbs right on at 11 months and as I am told, he is a small standard.

D

Deleted member 978

Hello and welcome!

Your pup is beautiful and yes, she is a dapple - a solid black dapple, meaning that she has no tan points. How much does your baby weigh in at, do you know? Most dachsies achieve half their adult weight by the time they are 12 - 14 weeks (3 - 3 1/2 months) My boy is 15 lbs right on at 11 months and as I am told, he is a small standard.
thank you! she weighs about 11 pounds. They said she's 4 months but her paws are giant. I didn't ask for her papers because IMO they don't really matter unless you're going to breed and I'm definitely not!

DonRamon

Ninja
Welcome, shes beatiful. My ninja used to happy pee a lot when he saw people he really liked, hes a year old now and does it very rarely now.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Welcome! That is one cute puppy!!! Most of the time, as long as you're not using alot of punishment training, submissive peeing will go away on it's own as they get older. It's a puppy thing saying "I'm not a threat!"

MatthewLP

The happy pee thing is just a fase. Compleatly ignore it. What I do with mine, when I come in the door I compleatly ignore them, No talking, no touching. I take them outside for them to pee. Then when they Pee I get just as Excited as they do. They QUICKLY learned that waiting to pee outside was far better than In.

I have a few Minor accident when company comes over. They give me a shocked look. I take them outside once again. Untill they are calm and relaxed then I'll allow them back in to be around company. Its training and patience, both takes time.

and Yes she Def. a Standard Doxie and a dapple. Congradulations.

nola

Welcome! She is absolutely beautiful!!! My Nola happy peed till she was about 5 months old then she just stopped.

ktshickle

DoxieLover
Frankie happy pees still. As a matter of fact today Frankie peed in my boyfriends mouth. Lol he didnt find it as funny as I did though. He has triggers though. I have to ignore him until he calms down. I always tell people coming over not to pet him or talk to him right away. And btw shes sooo pretty!

DonRamon

Ninja
Frankie happy pees still. As a matter of fact today Frankie peed in my boyfriends mouth. Lol he didnt find it as funny as I did though. He has triggers though. I have to ignore him until he calms down. I always tell people coming over not to pet him or talk to him right away. And btw shes sooo pretty!
LOL, i can match that story. I came home from work one day when my ninja was about 6 month old, he was all excited, so i picked him up over my head, and he peed straight into my eye. I dont know if you guys had pee in your eye's, but it burns :(