Hello from Tikki

Tikki

I only wanted some advice

I see that my introductory message has been read a number of times but not one person has responded.

Tikki is my little crossbreed Dachshund/Minpin although she is far more like a Doxie than a Minpin, and I had hoped someone could help me with her.

She will be 10 months old tomorrow and rather difficult. I need advice on training her as she is a stubborn little girl, but obviously as she is not a full Dachshund we are not wanted here.

It would, however, have been nice if just one of you could have responded to my initial introductory post, instead of just ignoring it.

Obviously we are not good enough for you. Pity, as I love little Tikki and I thought this forum would be the place where I could get advice.

Tikki's devoted slave

Hi. I am sorry no one responded to you. Of course you are welcomed here.

I just joined not too long ago and found this is not a very active site, which is a shame.

Please tell us more about your little Tikki.

Penny

Hi there! Yes of course you are welcome.
I stop by here often but I am home recovering from surgery. Going on the computer hasn't been something I've been getting around to.

This site is not very active, however, it can be if the folks who join become more active themselves! Post pics, ask questions. It's up to us how busy the site can be.

For training, I've found my dachshunds have been very food motivated and/or ball motivated. If you'd like to ask a specific question, maybe start a new thread to 'get the ball rolling'. lol

Tikki

Having lost my epileptic girl [not a Doxie but my beloved mutt] my home was empty. I saw Tikki [someone told me that there were puppies in the next village and took me to see them] and out of eight, four of each, I knew Tikki is the one even though at 3 weeks they were identical. Only they were not, not to my eyes.

I knew I would have to wait another couple of weeks but just three days later I was told to go and fetch her now, with the unspoken "or else".

So she has been with me since 3 weeks old, bottle fed on puppy substitute milk from my Vet, then weaned onto human baby food and then slowly onto raw. Not dehydrated "raw" but proper raw meat and fish, with vegetables. And chicken necks and wings - bought fresh and individually frozen by me, and she has them straight from the freezer.

She has the strongest teeth and jaw I have ever come across, but from what I have read up since adopting her, that is the norm for Doxies. I will post photos when I can, but as she is either rushing around like a lunatic or she is sleeping.

Tikki has a shorter back, longer legs [but definitely Doxie legs, just longer], a shorter nose and smaller ears, but she is definitely more Doxie than MinPin. Although how she can jump as high as she can, and waltz around on her hind legs when she is on her tether outside in the front yard - I doubt a Doxie could do that.

She is so thin but weighs far more than she looks. Rock solid muscled legs - and the most energetic puppy I have ever had. I will try to post some photographs but none show her standing. I hope these come out.

Not a good picture as it does not show that her legs are longer.

The pj's took half an hour and a lot of blood [mine] to put on the skinny puppy - and were ripped off within the hour.

She is not a cuddle pup - unless she decides to.- and she bites. Not always and only me. She is wonderful with children, especially little ones who adore her and she lets them pet her and cuddle her, and she is great with just about everyone else. But she definitely is very difficult with me at times.

From what I have read she has definite Doxie traits, so I do not know what to do.

Penny

Congrats on getting pics posted! She is a cutie.
We play Hide the ball at our house. Put my 3 behind a door, hide the ball somewhere and release the hounds for them to run around and use their noses. It's excellent for them because they have to work their nose and brains along with their muscles. I'm in Canada so for most of the year they don't get walks, not that walks are that great being held back by a leash. Maybe your sweetie might like a hunting game as well.

Have you taken her to some dog training classes?

She is very pretty. You did great with her only being 3 weeks old when you got her.
She is probably acting out more than normal since not being raised by her mom. They do learn much from mom & siblings with an additional 6 to 8 more weeks together.

Tikki

Tick Tock Tikki Tikki Tikva
Tikki Tikki Tikva
I love you

Tikki Tikki Tikva
Loves me too

Tikki Tikki Tiva
This for you

Today my Tikki Tikka Tikva
Is 15 months old
Hip hip hooray

CaseyKC

Ha ha. I often sing little nonsense jingles to my Libby when we are in the car. I use words and phrases she knows, like her name, Libby, and mommy,
good girl, love you, and bye bye car. She really pays attention when she hears a word she knows. I do not sing anything about food or eating. She would get very excited and that would not be a good thing while I am driving.

I hope your little Tikki has a lovely birthday. Happy Birthday Tikki.

Tikki

I do not take many photographs [bad me] but this shows her actual shape, although she has a much slimmer waist and her tuck is much higher when she is standing.

Her knees and front paws are definitely very Doxie-like but with a mix of Doxie and Minpin she takes after both of them. And from the ~450g that she was at 3 weeks-old she now weighs all of 6kg!

She is very slender but rock solid bones and muscles - raw feeding has a lot going for it!

CaseyKC

So she weighs a little over 13 lbs. That is about the weight of my Libby, although she has gained some weight this summer. Because it is so hot, we aren't doing a lot of exercise outdoors.

Your little Tikki is like a dachshund on stilts. Very cute. Has she stopped biting you?

Tikki

So she weighs a little over 13 lbs. That is about the weight of my Libby, although she has gained some weight this summer. Because it is so hot, we aren't doing a lot of exercise outdoors.

Your little Tikki is like a dachshund on stilts. Very cute. Has she stopped biting you?
Tikki does not have an ounce of fat on her but her shoulder and thigh muscles look like she is on steroids! Not so much when she is flonked out on the couch, but when she is rushing around outside, especially standing up on her hind legs to see more [my front yard is very steep and her tether keeps her away from the sidewalk].

I love the expression "Dachshund on stilts"!

She is incredibly strong and easily leaps up on my bed, which is much higher than a regular bed, although she does not sleep on it but in a crate in my bedroom.

The biting has stopped although she does mouth my hands sometimes, not hurting or even leaving a mark. It seems to be a sign of affection with her as she only does it with me.