Doxie parents - different coats.

ElvisPresley

This may be a dumb question but I was just pondering.

If a puppy has a sire with short hair, and a dam with Long hair, will the puppy still be able to be registered? Will AKC and CKC recognize this puppy as registered or no?

To clarify: I am NOT breeding. I am getting a chocolate and cream long haired daschund. Her mom is a long haired chocolate and tan (AKC) her dad is a smooth coat black and cream (AKC).

Will AKC let me register her? I am not ever going to breed her. She is nothing more than a companion, but I do want to register her.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Steph

The AKC will allow her to be registered with parents of two different coat types. Now, depending on which CKC you're talking about will depend...The Canadian Kennel Club will not register her, but the Continental Kennel Club might. I'm not as familiar with the ConKC as I am with the AKC and CanKC

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Wow I didn't think the AKC registered mixed coats either. I know the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) doesn't, but I thought the AKC was the same

nola

They will, but I don't like it. I think smooth+smooth, long+long and wire+wire only should be allowed:)