Dachshunds and larger dogs

joshvox

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here, so by way of introduction, my name is Josh--nice to be here. My wife and I have a question for you all about dachshunds and larger dogs, namely a standard poodle, who runs about 45-55 pounds give or take. I want the poodle and she wants the dachshund, however she is afraid that a large dog will put the dachshund at risk when they play for a back injury. Is there anything to this fear? We know that in general the breed can have back problems, so we want to make sure. Do you have large dogs living alongside your doxies?

jax's_mommy

I used to live with a roommate a few years back that had a leonberger (60+ lbs). At the time I had a mini doxie (6lbs). They did great together when playing.

garyd

when our son comes to visit, his 80 lb. Rotty plays with our 2 dachshunds (10# mini & 17 # std.) She is very careful with them and I'm not afraid to let them play. I think it would depend on the larger dog...probably more danger if the larger dog were a puppy.

vizzla

alf has ha poodle friend. The only thing to keep up for is that larger dogs seem to hit with their paws wich can hit on the dachies back.

Attachments

Inkeri

This is what's going on in our house daily... Our other dog is 1 year old german shepherd mix. :)
Vicious doggies!!

Attachments

Vonoepen

Our little dachsie lives with 5 big dogs with no problems. She and the youngest big dog are firm friends and chase each other around the house and garden. Occasionally I have to steady things down a bit when they get too carried away but generally I just let them get on with it.

Noodles~Mom

My Noods (11lbs) live with my Nalla (68lbs) and they get along great... Noods does not like playing because she is a old lady but Nalla will swat her with her paw and Noods will fall over then bark at Nalla and Nalla will leave her alone again. They live really well together.

My Noods (11lbs) live with my Nalla (68lbs) and they get along great... Noods does not like playing because she is a old lady but Nalla will swat her with her paw and Noods will fall over then bark at Nalla and Nalla will leave her alone again. They live really well together.
I think I'd bark too, if a giant came along and knocked me over.

Noodles~Mom

I think I'd bark too, if a giant came along and knocked me over.
I totally would too!!! Nalla does not make contact, but Noods thinks she will and falls over... it really is the funniest thing to see... next to Noods thinking the snow is not that deep and falls off the step into a snow drift.. that is pretty funny too!!! :D