Collar or harness?

Nell

I prefer collars but it's really just a matter of personal taste. Some people get a harness as they think it will be better for their dogs backs but the truth is both are a strain on the back if the dog pulls.

Some dogs seem to walk better with a collar and some with a harness, the best thing is to teach your dog not to pull, then both are safe!

JPsMOM

I personally prefer a collar for quick trips out (potty, mail) but true outings get a harness because in the instance that he attempts to dart off after something, I feel like the impact is softened a bit rather than ending up jerked by the neck. He is still learning.

Sent via tapatalk

Hunter's Parade

Collar only.I've seen dachshunds who had a harness.His back was deformed and elbows were turned out.Nothing pretty.If the dog doesn't pull than there really is no difference,but if it pulls,collar will be better,and it's easier to correct with collar

sherlock

Watson wears a collar all the time with his tags, but when he's on his leash (going outside to potty or on the way to the park) he has a harness. He pulls less with the harness and it doesn't choke him and make him heave like the collar does.

vizzla

Which would be more safe for my baby? i've heard both are ok but wanted to get you guys input.

I only use harness. They are very small dogs so I dont want them to have any tension on their necks if they suddently make a jump or anything.

Use whatever you feel safe with. If you use a collar make sure its wide enough. Very small or thin collars can harm the dogs neck.

Our boys dont pull when wearing a harness unlike when I have collar...

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Mine wear harnesses. I believe tgat collars put too much strain on their necks, and can increase the likelihood of IVDD.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

Inkeri

Mine wear both; collars on short walks and harnesses on long walks. I also think that harness is much better because the pressure is on a wider area and not just on the neck. But of course, as someone said on the previous thread about this subject, the best way to prevent any injuries is to train the dog to walk on a leash properly and without pulling. :)

lucerogina

Harness for long walks and collars for short trips to potty. It seems like less of a strain if he bolts for some reason with the harness vs a collar.

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

BelowHylan

I am new to doxies and I've seen them with harnesses in my area all the time, but the breeder I got my baby from told me absolutely no harness, it hurts their back... I have no opinion other than I have to trust what she tells me as she is very experienced in the breed. Having said that, my Zoya does pull sometimes but she is only 4 months old so I am still training her to walk next to me...

Barron

Mine wear harnesses. I believe tgat collars put too much strain on their necks, and can increase the likelihood of IVDD.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
....and OMG, your dogs are so so so cute!!!! and I agree about the collar

Hunter's Parade

I am new to doxies and I've seen them with harnesses in my area all the time, but the breeder I got my baby from told me absolutely no harness, it hurts their back... I have no opinion other than I have to trust what she tells me as she is very experienced in the breed. Having said that, my Zoya does pull sometimes but she is only 4 months old so I am still training her to walk next to me...
I'm actually very surprised that so many people here do put harnesses on their dachshunds.I know very many dachshund breeders,I take my dogs to shows,working trials,I know TONS of people who owns,shows,works and breeds their dachshunds and all of them knows that harnesses are bad for dachshund backs and elbows. I knew one dachshund who had harness,I saw him while he was a puppy,and told her owner that dogs with such long back can't wear harness,she didn't listen,I moved to the other side of city,but after a year on a walk I met the same lady with the same dog.He looked terribly!His back was arched and elbows turned out,he definitely wasn't like that as a puppy!I haven't seen ANY dog who had some problems because of collar.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
And I've heard of many doxies whose back problems are attributed to collars. Harnesses must be properly fitting and shouldn't ever affect their elbows.

CaseyKC

I posted this before in another thread, but since no one has mentioned this safety issue, I believe it may give dachshund owners another point to consider.

I used to volunteer to take rescue dogs from New England to some point along my trip to Florida, or on my return trip to New England. One time, I had a rescue dog slip his collar at a rest area and I spent 5 terrifying minutes chasing and finally catching him. Since that incident, I would never allow a dog to set foot in a rest area leashed to a collar. Large trucks entering rest areas make brake noises which scare dogs, causing them to make movements that would allow the collar to slip off, also, a dog who has slipped off a collar could run to the highway and get hit by a car.

Since the awful memory of the above mentioned event has never left my mind, when I got my Libby I decided that on trips she will always wear her well fitting Puppia harness when riding in her car safety seat. An accident, or sudden stop would not choke her since the safety straps are attached to the harness instead of a collar. In addition, she cannot slip her harness at a rest area. I have found that most dog walking areas at rest stops (off of major highways) are more often than not, next to where trucks enter. When they brake, they make a loud hissing noise which frightens most dogs who are being walked by their owners. After experiencing the terror I mentioned in the above paragraph, I would never take a chance that she would slip her collar in a rest area. I do have her collar on at home for walks, but where I live is fairly rural, she does not pull on the leash, and there is very little traffic.

I would vote for a harness when it is appropriate and a collar for at home wear. I think this is just common sense.

Hunter's Parade

That's why you have to use a collar that fits your dog's neck.It shouldn't hang there freely like a necklace and it shouldn't be possible to slip it over dog's head.Also dogs should be socialized so they don't think that braking trucks are scary.I'm not talking about the rescue dog,but a family pet shouldn't be afraid of braking trucks.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Besides, collars can cause thyroid issues and blindness if they pull, and if you leash correct, those 'pops' can cause spinal injuries, and throat issues.