Chewing Blanket

dooleydog

We have a four month old puppy that has begun chewing and sucking parts of his fleece blanket in his kennel and swallowing it. I don't want to pull his blanket out and have him with nothing soft in his kennel when he is in there or sleeping but I am worried about him eating it. I have seen small pieces of it in his poop so I know he is indeed swallowing it. I have tried telling him no and pulling him from the blanket and giving him a chew bone or toy but he wants to go back to the blanket. Any ideas or suggestions out there? Also, he had been doing a good job of not biting our fingers but in the past day or two he has started biting again. We do the telling him no and giving him something else to chews but he wants to go back to our fingers. Is this just another chapter in teething or puppyhood?

HilyBee

Sounds like he's just teething really bad. I'd try giving him a Kong stuffed and frozen. I freeze Yosuke's Kong for about 10-15 minutes with peanut butter and cherrios in it when he is teething really bad. Works like a charm every time - soothes his gums but also teaches him to chew on the toy not us. lol

sherlock

Watson did this when he was little, I think at first it was a teething thing, and then an anxiety/stress thing. He's mostly stopped, but every now and then I'll catch him doing it when he's upset with me (aka in trouble.) I never had any problems with him swallowing it, though. I mean, he did swallow it, but it would pass just fine.