Back Brace

Cruzer's Mom

My 3 year old doxie, Cruzer, was diagnosed 3 days ago with 2 bulging disk. One near his shoulders one near his tail. He is now on meds and crate rest. He wimpers when he gets up from lying down. Has anyone tried using a back brace and with what results? I am just trying to give him as much relief as possible while he is recouping.

Last edited:

Nell

Hi, so sorry to hear your little one is not well. I don't have any experience of this but if you look round the site there is loads of good advice about poorly backs. Hope things improve soon.

Penny

Georgia went down in Feb, although she maintained her bladder and bowel function. She had 8 weeks crate rest and recovered, without using a back brace.

Have you been to dodgerslist? It's a site with families dealing with their doxies and spinal cord injury. Dodgerslist: canine back problems home page

I hope you can post some photos of Cruzer and tell us more about him. Best wishes for a full recovery.

crystalclear1027

So sorry to hear about Cruzer's back problem. Sending positive thoughts your way so he can get back to his normal self real soon. Keep us posted!!

Penny

Georgia did go to acupuncture treatments. She did very well, she relaxed and wagged her tail.. That may be something to consider if you have a vet in your area that does it.

Cruzer's Mom

I talked with my vet today and he does not think the back brace will help Cruzer. Dodgerslist.com also doesn't recommend the brace because there have been no clinical studies. My poor fur baby seems to know he needs to stay in his crate but he so wants to be out with everyone else. He can stand on his back legs just fine and walk around a bit to potty but getting his legs under him to stand is very painful for him. This morning I was concerned that he might be constipated but everything worked out just a bit ago! :)

Penny

When Georgia was having her back episode, it was very painful for her to hold herself like she usually does to go poop. Plus, she loves to run around first to 'help things along', which she couldn't do on kennel rest. The easiest thing is to give pumpkin with every meal because the fiber will help the stool move more easily. Pumpkin is available in a tin, usually where they sell pie stuff. Do not buy the pumpkin with the spices added, just 'canned pumpkin'. When you open a can, you can freeze the excess in an ice cube tray and thaw as needed.

Cruzer's Mom

Cruzer seems to be back to his old self again. Which of course means he does not want to be in his crate. 6 more weeks is what is recommended by the vet and everything I have read online. I think we both will be absolutely crazy by then!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Nell

So pleased to hear Cruzer is on the mend and feeling very sorry for both of you re the crate rest! It's one thing confining a dog that is not feeling too good but not too sure what I would do if they were finding it really difficult. Can you re visit the vet and get an update on how to proceed from here?

Cruzer's Mom

We are scheduled to go back to the vet Friday. The problem is I don't know how much he has actually healed and how much the pain meds are making him feel wonderful.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Lupita

Hi Cruzer, hope your pup is feeling better. Lupi is on week 5 of crate rest for her back issues as well. We're on Dodgerslist too. It does get easier, and you really do need to stick with the 8 weeks, even if he seems to feel better. Lupi was doing really well, then got a bit of freedom and ended up back at the vet's again. We had to add on another week of crate rest!
Something that's really helped is a stroller. We got a good sturdy one, made by Pet Gear. Lupi stays in it now, instead of a crate, and I wheel her into whatever room I'm in so she feels like she's still a part of things. I even take her around the block for fresh air. She loves it so much, way better than the crate, kennel and x-pen we tried.