Baby it's cold outside!

squish13

Hi all - I know this is a common trait with dachshies, but my little wiener has become a nightmare with going outside lately. It has gotten extremely cold the last few days, and here although the temperature is about 3-5 Celsius, we're right next to the Ocean so it's blistering cold winds. Even I'd rather be in -15 weather without this wind!

Anyway, so it started originally with the beginning of the walk she refuses to walk and just pulls back. I've tried treats but I don't really want to be giving her 10 treats before we even get out of the apartment building. She's getting better but as soon as we get outside she plants her feet in. So my question on this one is, do I just pull her along (she's in a harness)? I've heard mixed things on this. Once we do get going she walks fine with me.

She's also started refusing to poop outside because of this wind. She'll go pee fine and I'll wait up to like 20 minutes, freezing my butt off... but she keeps pulling to go back in. Then of course she poops inside within 10 minutes. She knows it's bad too because she comes and looks at my with a guilty face as soon as she does it... She'll even do it right in front of me (yes I get mad and tell her no). Thoughts on proceeding? Or just keep at it with the praising while she's outside and does it right. I'm thinking I might just need some patience with both since I don't even want to be outside.

Thoughts? Just general comments she's a little weeny? :)

vizzla

Do you have any cloathes for her? Our dog just lay down if it goes under -10 C. Last winter we hade - 30 for 3 months! (some kinde of record!). As soon as we put his coat and socks on he can walk for hours. We didnt like dogs in cloats before but we see him now and he wait patiently while beeing dressed so why not? He loves it and we can go for walks. I mean, I can understand her with the wind! *brrr*

I dont like pulling. If she doesent want to go, try to get her along for a while. If she doesnt start walking on her own why make it a fight? It supposed to be fun going out! She will just start protesting more and more.

Attachments

I'm in Victoria, Texas, USA tonight, and have no trouble getting my dog outside. Of course it's around 70 degrees F tonight, with no sign of a freeze in sight.

I like Vizzla's idea of coats and socks. Our dogs will shiver if it gets below 65F.

Good luck with surviving the winter. You're welcome to come down and visit our Victoria, if you need a break.

Doxmom

Vizzla, I *love* the picture of you all bundled up with your dog's 'Signature coat' on!! Wow, lots of snow!

Sometimes Bree doesn't want to walk a certain way (a truck or lawnmover in his line of sight) so I do have to pull him a tiny bit - but then he gets going good again, happily checking out things in his path.

Let us know if the clothes work! I've even seen little boots and scarves for dogs in the pet shops..:rolleyes:

jax's_mommy

Let us know if the clothes work! I've even seen little boots and scarves for dogs in the pet shops..:rolleyes:
I saw the scarfs with little hats for them at Wal-mart :) I was seriously thinking about getting one for Jax lol :D

I put him in coats. I haven't had a real problem taking him out in the cold. Its been down to 22 and he does fine. Not sure about colder, We have some harsh cold weather heading this way, suppose to bring some snow as well (what fun lol) SO we will see how that goes. May need to get Jax some boots. Or just crochet some :p

Noodles~Mom

Do you have any cloathes for her? Our dog just lay down if it goes under -10 C. Last winter we hade - 30 for 3 months! (some kinde of record!). As soon as we put his coat and socks on he can walk for hours. We didnt like dogs in cloats before but we see him now and he wait patiently while beeing dressed so why not? He loves it and we can go for walks. I mean, I can understand her with the wind! *brrr*

I dont like pulling. If she doesent want to go, try to get her along for a while. If she doesnt start walking on her own why make it a fight? It supposed to be fun going out! She will just start protesting more and more.
Vizzla where did you get the booties? I have been looking for booties for Noods but I cant find anything that stays on her feet!!

It is freakin COLD here -30C (-22F) and will be this way until the new year!!! Noods will go out and do her buis, then has to come right back in. When she was in the puppy mill I think she got frost bite on her feet because she really can not handle the cold on her feet at all, she will actually roll on her back just so her feet dont touch the cold ground!!

squish13

Farfel definitely has some coats. My mom (gramma) is getting her some boots for Christmas though since we'll be going to even colder weather!

It's definitely the cold... She also doesn't like the grass and much as pavement to walk on... I think some boots will help that though.

She pulled back again this morning so I just carried her out a little further from home and she started walking, it's almost like "okay, well I gotta walk no matter what now instead of going inside, so I will". This seems to work. Then I praise her lots when she's walking good and she's really happy.

She also doesn't like the traffic which is everywhere around where I live.

Luckily the wind has died down though, we have success for going potty outside again :D

Sounds like this is normal though :) I grew up with bigger dogs with more fur (my dog for 15 years was a golden retriever) so I'm not used to having someone who's a little weeny! ha.. ha...

vizzla

I bought them at our lokal pet-shop (we dont sell animals in stors, its against the law but they have clothes and toys and food). My mother did a couple of boots herself from an old fleece jacket :) Its just a square piece and a velcro band.

My neighbour was intressted in trying to make a pair that will stay on better. He drops them if he runs or if he plays to hard.

Noodles~Mom

I bought them at our lokal pet-shop (we dont sell animals in stors, its against the law but they have clothes and toys and food). My mother did a couple of boots herself from an old fleece jacket :) Its just a square piece and a velcro band.

My neighbour was intressted in trying to make a pair that will stay on better. He drops them if he runs or if he plays to hard.
A friend of mine sent me a set of small booties and sewed on suspenders so they stay on. They work really well but it takes 20 minutes to put them on!!!
Muttluks Dog Boots Muttluks (Pet Equipment Supplies - Cold Maintenance)

Muttluks are soposed to be really good! We dont have them here but Im thinking of bying them on e-bay.........
I tried Muttluks, they are great booties, but they do not stay on. They fit the foot but not the leg and as soon as the Doxie starts walking they fall off because there is no leg to hang onto.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I use muttluks with my bigger dog, but they do not fit Dachshunds. they are not flexable enough, and cover their wrist joint in the front, so they cant walk properly... though that could just be my little mini's :) but for them, the cheap fleece booties work fantastic, though wear through regularly. (costs me less than $4 for 4)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
And it's bitterly cold here too!!! aftyer having the nicest winter EVER last year (only 3 weeks all winter that it got below -10C) But it's been at least that cold, since mid Oct, with only a few days getting close to the freezing mark. Though we haven't quite got to the -30C stuff yet... -10C to -20C most days...

Doxmom

How do you guys handle that intense cold? Who can go grocery shopping or to school when it's that cold? And don't the dogs hate to go out, too?? I think I'd stay in the house all the time..:eek:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Well, the little shorthairs don't go out except to pee, but Ollie LOVES the snow, and as long as he has his Muttluks on, he's perfectly fine up until -30C... then he needs a coat... but I don't take him for long walks when it's -30C or colder, as it's hard on the lungs when running. -35 or colder we dont go out for walks... more because I'm a wimp! LOL

My dogs start to shiver at 4 degrees C.

We rarely get more than two weeks in a year below 0 C

I don't think anyone who braves a -2 or lower is a wimp.

Inkeri

Manu loves the snow too. :)
I have to say that not many finns have boots for their dogs... Even though it gets -30C sometimes (we should have -30C next week, brrrr...). I have a winter jacket for Manu but he only wears it if it's below -20C or so and no boots. If it's too cold we just keep the walks short. I think I've seen boots on a dog once or twice in my life. :D

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Well, I'd prefer to have booties on a dog, then them to get cold feet. House dogs generally don't have feet that can deal with the cold all that well. Oliver's feet freeze very quickly, and Mouse's feet freeze within a few seconds when it's below -10C or so, especially the bad foot. Even sled dogs wear booties to protect their feet against getting snow balls and damage from the snow.