Are mixes welcome?

3Cats&aPup

Hi dachshund fans! A little over a week ago I adopted my first dog - an 8 week old dachshund mix from the local SPCA. We don't know what he's mixed with, though one of his sisters looked like a rat terrier. We've named him Hamilton, and he's healthy and spunky and everyone he meets is his BEST FRIEND EVER, but I do have some questions/concerns and was hoping non-purebred-dachshund families were welcome here too!

This is my little Hammie:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
OMG he's sooooo cute!!!! He's too young to be able to tell what he might be crossed with, but post pics again at 6 or 8 months, we'll be able to tell more then!

And of course mixes are welcome!!! I have 5 dogs, three are rescued mutts, the two Doxies are pure, but they're rescues too.

MissHailey

OMG he's sooooo cute!!!! He's too young to be able to tell what he might be crossed with, but post pics again at 6 or 8 months, we'll be able to tell more then!

And of course mixes are welcome!!! I have 5 dogs, three are rescued mutts, the two Doxies are pure, but they're rescues too.
Off topic but I was wondering what your dogs patches looked like? I'm trying to see what my mutt is mixed with, I know she's some kind of terrier and spaniel and i was just curious what your dog looked like :) maybe you can PM me and I can send you a picture of her....

Maria Dorval

I agree with the person that said he is too young, but you can always get a DNA test. That is what I did. I would never know that my little doxie is also a little bit beagle, chihuahua, parson russsle terrior, and get this..... Great Purinese!!!
I saw a GP for the first time at the vet and everyone laughed when I said nicky was part GP, LOL.

THanks for posting the pic, so adorable.
Maria Dorval

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
That's why DNA testing is a waste of money. they're complete balony. I know someone with a Border Collie x Lab (both parents were purebred) who sent in to 5 different companies... they all came back with something different. Sorry they're a scam.