Anxiety????

dappledoggymommy

Doxiemommy
Hello!
I have a one year old short hair female doxie. I was just looking for some insight on her activity level. She doesn't ever stop! Like literally always moving. When she is in the backyard she runs and runs and runs. I've probably seen her lay down outside only a handfull of times. As soon as she comes in the house she does a few laps to check on eveything and then plops down and sleeps. She definitely keeps herself in shape!

Also when my son and I are outside with her she does a strange thing. She licks the cracks in the concrete. She will just sit there and lick them. Not sure why it is shes doing that.I'm just very worried about her mouth and her teeth. When she licks she drags her teeth on the ground as well. She gets a lot of exercise between walks and my son running around with her.

If you have some insight I would really appreciate it! Thanks so much! Look forward to hearing some ideas.

jax's_mommy

The running around like a nut case, thats normal for a doxie:) My boy does the same thing! We just call them the zoomies haha. I don't have a yard for my dog. So i have to wlak him. But he runs around like crazy in the house ( I have a video on ere of that lol it under christmas fun I believe)

As for the licking the concrete, not sure. My boy just licks the carpet like its the best food source in the world lol :)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
My friend has a Border Collie that licks the floors and concrete outside, for her, it's an OCD-type behaviour that has developed from frustration... she mostly does it when no one is willing to throw the toys she brings LOL. Her little teeth in the front, and canines have all been filed down from the years of licking concrete.

Inkeri

The first dachsie I ever had did the same thing! :D I was only 6 years old then, but i still remember it... My dad used him as a hunting dog and when there was a longer period between hunting trips he'd start licking esp the bathroom floor. I think it came out of frustration too.

I think you should give the dog brain exercise as well. Many ppl think that the more active the dog is, the more exercise he needs. And they end up with even more active dog with super-high energy level. You could make her use her nose - hide treats and make her find it, you can serve her meals in a kong, get her dog puzzles, make treat-tracks outside etc... That'll tire her out more than a long walk outside. :)