Adopted Dachshund - Housetraining and Crate Training HELP!!

NewDogMommy

Hello,

I just adopted a dachshund around 5-7 years old. He has lived his entire life outside, and is not housetrained. At night when I put him in his crate he does NOT go to the bathroom. If I leave him in his crate during the day he goes to the bathroom, usually just pee. For example, I ran a quick errand and was only out of the house for 30 mins and when I got back he had peed, even though I had taken him out to the bathroom and he went 1 hour prior.

I leave him in the bathroom with a gate up when I leave, and yesterday when I got back from being out for about 3 hours he broke through and tore up my carpet.

Any tips????

THANK YOU!!

Penny

Hi and Welcome from Canada!

Thank you for adopting an adult! It does take time for a new fella to settle in and get used to the routine. Try to be patient, although I totally understand your frustration.

Can you give him exercise in the morning first, then feed him? I usually do that with mine, give them a 1/2 hour run, food with warm water (kibble swell up in the tummy to help with the full part, and it's good for them to do that) Then they are ready to settle down for a nap. I don't kennel mine but put them in a room with a gate up and some papers down if they have to go while I'm out.

I hope you get around to posting some pics.

NewDogMommy

Thank you very much. I always walk him at night, but switching to mornings may be better. I will try to add warm water to his food to fill him up.

When you leave your dogs in a room, do you leave water with them? What types of things do you leave in there?

Milo does not like playing with balls or toys (I am convinced he was a cat in his past life) but he does love to chew on rawhide.

Penny

I leave water and a kong and a tire for chewing but they don't really have an interest in chewing while I'm away. The kong and tire are always in the place they were left.

Dachshunds are bred to hunt. Long ago I started my first dachshund to hunt indoors. I would show him a ball, put it behind something and he'd find it and say GOOD BOY!! Then made it harder. He loved to hunt in the house and it burned off a lot of energy. Very nice that it doesn't depend on the weather too. Each dog learned to hunt from the dog already living here. I think with a bit of patience he'll learn the game and really like it.

I put them behind a door, hide the ball, they race out and can't seem to go fast enough. It's better when there's competition. lol Here's a very brief video of the release of the hounds to find the ball...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtSMjRxGUlM&list=UUYDicYobiLRTzvApkflUe_g

It does engage their minds too which they need. Hope you try it.

NewDogMommy

I will have to buy a Kong. It seems as every dog owner has one!

What a cool video, I will start trying that out with Milo. Thanks!