A One-person dog?

Doxmom

Do many of you feel that your doxie is more connected to you than your spouse or anyone else in the family?

Bree has been in our lives for two months now. He is almost ten months old. We take our daily walks together, I prepare his meals, and play catch with him on the patio.

When I leave the house, Bree sits in the utility room and won't move from that space until I return. Although it's kind of flattering, I really don't think it's a good thing. If I have to leave town, will he sit there for days?

My husband is very good and affectionate with Bree. But the little boy seems more than a little attached to me. Is this a trait of the breed?:confused:

babysis

I've noticed with Baby that she is more affectionate with some more than others. It's certain traits. i.e. when I go to my parents place, she wants nothing to do with me and everything is about my mum. Anytime my mum is around I don't exist! I think it takes a lot longer time for them to really warm up and get to know others. I think and hope it is just a matter of time for you!

Inkeri

They say that doxies are one person dogs and I think it's true. Our doxie treats most people like air.. And he doesn't want to be touched. But when he starts to trust someone he loves them. :)

I think in your situation Doxmom would help if your husband would feed Bree regularly also and took him to walks (with and without you). All dogs tend to bond to the person who provides them food and company. ;)

We thought we would only own one dog when we got PD. By the time he was a few months old we realized we needed a second dog because he was becoming too attached to us, especially me. I couldn't walk across the room without having PD grab my pants leg.

That's why we got Henry. Henry helped to teach PD how to be a dog, and helped to get PD interested in something besides me.

nola

Absolutly!!! Nola is my dog, no doubt about it. When i have her off leash at the dog beach one time I was talkin to a lady and she asked if Nola was mine (Nola was playing with her beagle friend about 20ft away). I said yes, how did you know? She said Nola kept track of me with her eyes and if I moved the slightest bit shed shift positions. I tested it out and she does!
I've read that smooths especially are one person dogs.

Noodles~Mom

I live with my brother and Noods loves my bro (especially if he has food) but one call from me she will come to me. She sleeps with me, I feed her I clean up after her I groom her. She is my dog... I am fine with that though, she didnt know love for her first six years, and now she gets overdoases of it everyday!!

Doxmom

Lucky Noodles!! She won the 'doggie lottery' when you rescued her!

Thanks for all the advice. I'm having David, my husband, feed him dinner. Also, Bree won't walk with my husband!! Bree will walk together with him, but won't walk with him when I'm not there...I know - it's not good..

jax's_mommy

Jax sorta belongs to both my husband and myself. While my husband is at work, Jax spends the day with me. I feed him, walk him, and play with him. Jax will also follow me around during the day. When my husband is home, he walks him, plays with him and also feeds him. And in turn, Jax follows him throughout the evening.
I hope it stays that way, so he doesn't bond to just one of us. It's nice he is happy to be with either of us.

Doxmom

we realized we needed a second dog
We are still caring for our 16 yr old black and white pekingese, blind and deaf and mostly disoriented.

One more dog in this house, WM, and I'll have plenty of room..My husband would move out!! :eek:

We are still caring for our 16 yr old black and white pekingese, blind and deaf and mostly disoriented.

One more dog in this house, WM, and I'll have plenty of room..My husband would move out!! :eek:
You might have to put the second dog plan on hold for a while, then.

But at least you know what to do if husband ever becomes an annoyance.