Yogurt for doxies?

I used to cut my yougurt containers in two and let my doxies lick out the bit that I couldn't get with a spoon.

However, I've stopped this since PD's pancreatitis. The vet wants him on a low fat diet. Fortunately, we haven't had to change his diet much, since he rarely got any people food or fatty dog foods, anyway. He's always been happy to work for kibble.

I noticed tonight that the yogurt says 0% fat. Does anyone know if there is a problem giving dachshunds milk-related products, such as yogurt?

Or can I put that back on his list of occassional "treats"?

Thanks,

nola

Since he has pancreatitis, I'd ask your vet. But for a healthy Doxie plain yogurt is a great snack. My dog gets 2 TBPS plain yogurt everyday, and has no more stomach issues

I finally remembered to ask the vet, and was given the go-ahead for yogurt.

I eat the yogurt, then cut the container in half and let each dog have a half. They love it, and usually give the container back when its been licked clean.

nola

Are you mixing this in Nola's regular food or as a separate snack?
Separate snack in the afternoon. She gets 1 TBSP pure pumpkin, 1/4 tsp pet kelp supplement and 1/4 tps ground eggshell. She's fed a home cooked diet

Itoy and Suerti

Both my boys get yoghurt everyday, they get 2 TBS also. I give them plain, unsweetened natural yoghurt. But they also get a small amount of milk at breakfast time :)

nola

Doxmom, I feed homemade (not raw) because of Nola's allergies and the eggshell provides calcium. I have chickens so I'll either feed her a whole egg or put the shells in the fridge during the week and grind them up once or twice a week.