Wound healing

NancyD

Mickey got neutered on Friday, December 17th. Since one of his testicles didn't descend, he has 2 incisions. The one in the usual place seems to be healing nicely but the one in the fold where his back leg meets the bottom of his torso seems like it has a small red bubble. It's really bothering him and he wants to lick it. I don't want him to have to wear the cone of shame so I am constantly stopping him and telling him no. Didn't I read somewhere that it's healing for a dog to lick his wounds? I wish I could just let him lick what he wants and be happy. Is there anything I can do to get that wound to heal and make him feel better?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
You cant let him lick, as he'll open up the incision. Try taping a light piece of gauze over (tape well away from the incision) then spray bitter apple (or some other deterrent) on the gauze. If you're worried about the incision not healing properly, take him to the vet.

NancyD

I took him back to the vet

when I got home from work today. They took him in the back and had the doctor look at it. Then they said they had to anesthesize him and re-stitch it. They said it would only take about an hour so I left him there and I will go back for him. Darn! And I spent about $15.00 on bandages, tape, etc. today. I only had smaller bandaids and even tho I put bitter apple on them, he just ripped them right off. Guess he'll have to wear a cone anyway... :(

gpmum2

Aww bless him. I hope he is healing well this time. I think Bernie was lucky within a couple of hours you wouldn't of known he had had an op & never touched his wounds.

Fingers cross all is good for you now x