Wires-Haired

mjknable88

Does anyone have a wire-haired Dachshund? I only thought their hair only came in smooth and long until a few months after I found mine (he is turning 6 in March). I was told he was a just a mixed breed and they didn't know what he was mixed with until I researched it. Ever since I have been so interested in doxies and want to learn so much and would love to learn something from everyone and everything I can. I would love to see a picture of another wired-hair, I have a dapple colored. Wondering how yours act, I have one wired hair and a long hair, their instincts are like night and day. Once I get my long hair on the right track and trained to my likings I want to get a smooth coat. I will have pics of mine up by this weekend.

Last edited:

nola

I love wires! My next will hopefully be one. I do know that all the personalities are different.
Smooth: aloof and one-person
Long: lovers, the calm ones
Wire: terrier like and the clowns of the family

mjknable88

My wired hair doesn't listen to anyone in the house and he is very protective of me and my daughter. He loves to chase animals, likes to lay by himself, does not eat treats, and hardly ever barks. My long hair loves everyone, has has to be on top of someone. She barks all the day and does mind the other animals. I was reading about this breed an they say a pack of dachshund are as pierce as a pack of wolves. Packs of these dogs can take out a wild boar. Which is amazing for how small of a dog and how mean the boars are.

Vonoepen

My wire is very people friendly, gets on well with other dogs and adores children. She lives with 5 big dogs and is the boss! She is protective and possessive over certain things but not toys. She has strong hunting instincts but when she is not on the scent of something is very responsive to the whistle. Her feet are very hairy and she has a good beard but her body is quite smooth at the moment although longer wire hairs are coming through. She is only 6 months so I expect it will change as she gets older.

mjknable88

I love my wire hair, he goes everywhere with us that allows dogs( Lowes Home Improvement is a pet friendly store). My wire hair responses to a snap of a finger. I got him when he was 7 months and have enjoyed his company. Does your whine when you leave them. My wire hair was diagnosed with separation anxiety. Wonder if that is common in this breed. He was my first small breed and I'm so happy I found that little guy.

nola

Seperation anxiety is common in the breed, especially in smooths. Nola had mild anxiety thats been controlled with training.

Steph

Most people don't know that dachshunds come in wire coats and often mistake them for cross breeds - usually a doxie crossed with a schnauzer (it's the beard, lol)

Yup, separation anxiety is pretty common considering they are known as "Velcro" dogs :D I have a smooth, but would like to get a long and a wire someday.

If you're really interested in the history of the breed check out these sites

The Dachshund History Project: The Dachshund History Project

And the other eridox.com

Both sites are lovely to learn from. Lisa @Eridox is also the author of a couple of books that are centered around dachshunds. Dachshund Coats, Colors and Patterns as well as The Dachshund Spine (a must have for us doxie lovers) She also has a couple of others in the works too, one being a nutrition book.