Wireless fence?

JPsMOM

First of all let me be very clear that I am NOT looking into this option for the purpose of letting Jasper outside alone. Period. I have already read too many horror stories about dogs getting mauled by strays that can cross those boundaries. NOT gonna happen here. The only reason I looked in to the idea was so he could have off-leash time with us when we are in the yard. We have no fence, and since we are renting we cannot install one. Is this a viable, safe option? If you use one, what is your experience? If you don't, why not? Completely open to comments/opinions/suggestions. (Nice ones please lol)

Sent via tapatalk

Nell

I haven't heard of a wireless fence that would be suitable for dogs? I have used electric fencing with horses is this the same kind of thing?

JPsMOM

No no way! Lol It's also called an invisible fence. PetSafe is a common brand. Just saw you are from the UK... I found "freedom fence" when looking there for an invisible fence to give an example of. The kind I mean (PetSafe ) doesn't have a buried wire though like freedom fence, it has a wireless invisible boundary you set up. I have never decided whether they are good things or not. Was hoping some one had input on here.

Sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

CaseyKC

I once did a home visit for prospective adoptive parents. They had had a wireless fence installed, but the company that sold the equiptment for them had to customize a collar and figure out the voltage because the dachshund they were adopting only weighed 8 lbs and it was feared that a standard voltage and collar would deliver an overly powerful jolt to such a small dog.

JPsMOM

Hmm now that I am looking there is a weight limit, and my guy is going to be small. Nixing that idea, thank you!

Sent via tapatalk