Why I was so surprised about owning a Dachshund

starfish

Midwest US Region Moderator
Here is a little background on me. My family is Blackfoot Indian, Choctaw Indian and Irish. My grandfather on my mother's side was Blackfoot and Choctaw, he raised Timberwolves. He and I were always together, and he taught me how to train and respect wolves. I was always an animal lover(as was he). Animals always seemed to come to me all my life. I would always be found outside in the woods with animals or at grandpop's house with the wolves. My husband and I decided after a few years to get a dog. Since our house at the time was small, we decided a small dog would be best. So, I jumped online and did research on breeds. We desperately wanted a Westhighland Terrier. We got a call about a friend of a friend who was going to take her small dog to the pound, due to the 14 hour shifts she worked. We decided to go meet the owner and the dog. When we arrived, she was in tears until this little guy jumped right into my lap and wouldn't leave my side. That is how we got Henry Longfellow. :)Been in love with Dachshunds since then. :D

gpmum2

NIce to to read about you, so different from here in the UK. No wolves here as far as I know.

Henry is one lucky dog finding you :)

starfish

Midwest US Region Moderator
Thank you everyone! My husband was a little distant from Henry at first, his family had always had Yorkies. but, two weeks later, I came home early from work, and found them both asleep in a chair, Henry curled up in my husband's arms under a blankie. it was so sweet...He can be more cuddly with the boys than I am!! Now, we have several doxie things around the house and he is always looking for more toys and such for the boys. :D

gpmum2

Thank you everyone! My husband was a little distant from Henry at first, his family had always had Yorkies. but, two weeks later, I came home early from work, and found them both asleep in a chair, Henry curled up in my husband's arms under a blankie. it was so sweet...He can be more cuddly with the boys than I am!! Now, we have several doxie things around the house and he is always looking for more toys and such for the boys. :D
This made me laugh as my hubby said that Daxies weren't a mans dog!! Who is the one giving Bernie a cuddle every evening ..on the sofa, which has been a no no for all our other dogs..HUBBY :)

He didn't even blink an eye on Friday when the men walked the dogs back from the pub..the others had Labs, lab/poodle (a horse in disquise) and a Griffin :D

Susan

Bella & Jack's Mummy
awww thats lovely, I have to say my husband was a little unsure of having a dog altogether but i have found him cuddling Bella on occasion I think she has melted him :D but then who wouldnt melt she is beautiful and so adorable xxx

Olivers_mom

Same with my husband. I don't think either of us knew the kind of bond we would have with our Dachshund. It took him a few days to get used to his new house. Now he is always following us around the house and loves snuggling under blankets!

Here is a picture of Ollie at an Octoberfest event dressed like a bee.

He also participated in his first Dachshund race, and finished 2nd!

Penny

Now how did you decide to use the name starfish?? That doesn't match your story at all, so there must be another story.

Welcome from Canada. Doxies are the best cuddlers and under a blanket in your arms are their favorite place. Just can't manage that with a golden retriever. lol